Chapter 5

"Hey," he said. She stirred awake, opening her eyes, finding Sam standing by the driver's side; his hands lightly touching her shoulders. "I'm going to get you a room. I'll be right back." 

She nodded once. He closed the door with a loud thud and walked towards the office, a few feet away. She saw as he walked inside the office and the door closed behind him. She hadn't realized she'd fallen asleep. She wasn't sure when it happened or how long she had been asleep for. Maybe five minutes or so, no more, the diner wasn't far from the hotel.

She checked her watch and noticed it was midnight. Four hours had passed. She almost sighed out of relief. She was glad yesterday was over. And if she didn't think about it, maybe it was like it had never happened. Robbie never betrayed her. They were still best friends. And she was still afraid of him leaving.

But none of that was true. Not anymore at least. She saw Sam walk out of the office with a key in hand. He was walking briskly, his eyes lost in his surroundings. He turned finally when he was in front of the car. She yawned, took off her seatbelt and opened the door. He looked at her as she got out of the car and closed the door. He titled his head slightly towards the right, his eyes lost.

"I like you," he said almost inaudibly.

Her heartbeat quickened. "What-"

"Robbie said: me gustas, right? Or something along the lines of it, anyway," he said. She nodded, her eyes slightly squinting in confusion. "I like you. That's what he was telling you. I think it's cute, really, if he hadn't just tried to kill you."

Aries struggled to say something. She was completely and utterly out of words. Her mind was struggling to understand what Sam had just said because it couldn't be. Robbie liking her was as improbable as the moon falling into the earth. She was frozen in place. Her mouth gaped open. Her eyes were glistening from the ears building inside.

"Sammy!" A voice said.

They both turned around simultaneously. Dean was standing in front of them with a remote control in hand. Aries couldn't help but smile. She liked Dean. He treated her nicely yesterday. He reminded her of Robbie in the way he seemed like someone you could strike conversation with. He stood in front of them with a funny look expression on his face, his eyes slightly squinted, his finger pointed at them.

"What are you two kids doing out here so late?" He asked. He took a few steps closer to them, a smile on his lips. Sam shifted from foot to foot. Aries looked at Sam's sudden discomfort and almost wanted to burst into laughter. It was like Dean had caught him on a date, just before he kissed the girl.

"I-we-just," Sam sighed. He turned towards Aries, slightly raising his eyebrows, mouthing, help me. She giggled. It was cute. He had helped her when witches tried to kill her but couldn't come up with an excuse to tell his brother.

"No, I get it, Sammy," he winked.

"No. Dean. Why did you just wink?" Sam asked.

"Because I get it." He winked again.

"No, what, stop-" he began but his brother interrupted him.

"We don't have to talk about what happened tonight. Really we don't. I get it, Sam. Aries' gets it right?" He asked, turning slightly towards her. She nodded and shrugged her shoulders when Sam turned towards her. "See she gets it."

"What? I don't....just go to bed, Dean. I'll be there in a minute," he said. Dean turned towards Aries and winked. She stifled a laugh. He turned away and went back inside his hotel room. Sam sighed and turned towards Aries.

"What the hell just happened?" Sam mumbled under his breath. He began to walk, past the car and towards a room. She followed him and almost had to jog to keep up. "That basically sums up Dean. One moment he does something and the next I'm just left wondering what the hell just happened."