killing me softly

(imagine the library at night time and with higher shelves)

•••••••••••
Paris

Mayson turned up the volume of the music, driving us to lord knows where. When one song came on she started softly singing the words and tapping her fingers on the steering wheel.

"Strumming my pain with his fingers." She sang, "Singing my life with his words."

"Killing me softly with his song." I sang softly looking out the window.

Mayson turned towards me shocked, "You know this song?"

"Of course. Iris used to play songs like this all the time in the diner. She awakened my love for 90s R&B." I smiled reminiscing the memories.

Mayson just grinned and turnt up the music even louder, "I heard he sang a good song. I heard he had style." Mayson sang louder this time.

She passed an imaginary mic to my lips and I chuckled, "And so I came to see him and listen for a while." I sang.

"And there he was. This young boy, stranger to my eyes." Mayson sang, progressively getting louder.

"Strumming my pain with his fingers." I sang with a smile, bobbing my head up and down. We probably looked dumb as fuck right now but I didn't really care, we were just having fun.

"One time, one time." Mayson smiled.

"Singing my life with his words." I sang louder.

"Two times, two times." Mayson bopped her head.

"Killing me softly with this song, killing me softly with his song." We both sang.

"Telling my whole life with his words, killing me softly..." We both turned towards each other and sang, "With his song." Mayson looked back at the road and laughed and it sounded so melodic and free that I couldn't help but laugh with her.

We sang the rest of the song with no care in the world and just vibed together. Never in my wildest dream did I think I would ever find someone who appreciated the same song as me especially growing up where I grew up.

It felt so freeing being able to do whatever the fuck I wanted without any unrealistic expectations. Even if it was just singing a song in a car on the way to a place I didn't know.

"Ok, so you have a choice on whether you wanna do this one or not." Mayson said as she parked the car.

We were steadily getting closer to the city but I still had no idea where we were. It was dark and I could see the city in the distance, alive and beating. It was a Friday night so I expected nothing less.

"Why?" I asked curiously, turning towards her.

"Well..." She hesitated.

When she still hadn't said anything I urged her, "Just say it Mace." I said because I was getting extremely curious.

"It's kinda...illegal." She said quietly, scratching the back of her head.

"Illegal?" I asked shocked. She nodded.

"You know what? Fuck it I never get to do fun things." I said after thinking about it. I was always the perfect poster child, good grades (kinda), respectful, and it was all for my parent's affection so they would be proud of me for being such a good child.

Needless to say that plan went to shit. I had certain friends for my parents, I went into cheerleading for my mom, hell, I even had a boyfriend because of my dad.

I'm gonna do something for me for once, even if it's as simple as this.

"Are you sure? We don't have to, I have other things planned." Mayson asked carefully.