Chapter 20 - Noah

We are in the car. The drive is calm and quiet. Quieter than I would like. May is in my passenger seat looking out the window.

We had to take my navy blue sports car. I would have taken my black bike but let shark use it. He is in the shop getting a new wrap.

" what are you thinking about " I question gently placing my hand on her thigh. My big hand almost wraps around the top part of her thigh.

" what if we are too late? I mean think about it maybe that's the reason she has not reached out. What if we get there and her body is dead on the floor"  decent laces her voice

" She is not dead" I state holding her thigh a little tighter

" how do you know" she pleas into the quiet

" Leo sent men to watch over her" I shared. Her body relaxes at my words.

" I still have a bad feeling " 

Soon the familiar faded yellow house comes into view. May practically jump out of the car and runs inside. I stroll into the house after locking the car behind me.

" aunt lucy "

" yes, dear" is heard from the kitchen. May immediately go to the sound. I follow behind. The kitchen looks like it is straight out of the 90s. Dark wood cabinets and cupboards. Off-white appliances. That is way past their prime. Tacky curtains on the window above the sink. Dishes pile up I said sink. Faded yellow-green walls. Food clusters on the countertops.

" well if I knew you were bringing a friend over I would have cleaned up a little," lucy says gesturing to me.

" can we talk" May hesitates

" yeah let's sit first " the older lady states walking out of the kitchen.

The old red couches are stained. They almost seem brown now. Pen stripe wallpaper covers the walls in the small living room. The coffee table was covered in junk. A tv that's always playing on the other end of that. A plant dying in the corner.

May and I sit on one side of the couch and aunt lucy on the other. Lucy turns down the tv. But doesn't turn it off.

" how have you been I have not seen you in a while" may asks

" you were here just last week. Or was it two weeks ago? Anyway I am doing fine"

" she has not been here at all she has been staying at my place " I grunt

" oh I thought you were staying with Luna for a week," the woman says confused

" aunt lucy we have not been friends since 7th grade" may whispers. Sadness paints her face for a moment. Her aunt doesn't notice but I do.

" oh how did that happen "

" she moved away remember" may mumbles like the memories are too hard to bear

"Oh yeah that's right" she finally remembers. May gives me a look that says 'shut up'.

" I saw that dance was canceled "

" yeah someone burns the place down"

" well who on earth would do that"

" Probably a gang " I declare

"  oh yeah " aunt lucy speaks after a moment. May and her are deep in conversation when I slip away.

This was her childhood. These are the walls she grew up in. This is where she was forced to roam. All because they had to go.

The same soft blue flower wallpaper as before. Her favorite color is pink.  Her room was untouched since the last time I was here. The big doll house still at the foot of the bed.

The music box on the bay window. I open it. A tiny dancer spins to the tune of "Don't You Worry Child." The original song was changed but why. I place the box still leaving it open.

No paintings or photos on the walls. One on the white nightstand by the bed. Her father kisses her mother with baby may in their arms. 

" what are you doing in here," she asks walking into her room.

" just looking around " I whisper.

" I have been looking for this " she runs over to the music box

"Where did you find it," she ask smiling brightly.

" on the window seat "

" you say it like it was simple"

" the song is still good after all these years"

" why that song"

" oh, my mother changed it. I got it as a birthday gift from her. It was the song she listened to when I was a baby." she rambles. Her face lights up at the memory of her mother.

" my mom probably regret it at the time. I played the song on repeat. Somehow I played it more after they died" the smile that was once on her face is now gone.

I make her put the box down. I pull her into a tight embrace. A single tear falls down her face.

This is how she has been all her whole life. Hiding her pain because her aunt is too scared to accept that her sister is dead. May has been strong for too long.

Her aunt can not even see if she is home or not. She can't even turn to her own family.

" it is easy to remember, it is harder to move on "

" what "

" it is what my mom said when my hamster died "

" your mother was a very wise woman"

" she was " I say softly.

" let's go home"

" but I am home "

" This is not your home. You have a new home now "

" with shark and lavender "

" yes with Shark, Lavender, and everyone else"

" I need to grab a few things"

" go ahead baby "

She grabs her music box, the photo, some old dance shoes and other things. All while telling me stories of when she was a girl. Some sad but most she told with the biggest smile on her face. I take a mental picture of that smile. I will do everything I can to get it back.