Chapter 6

The royal carriages sat in front of the two uncovered wagons the staff would travel in. Zyaan sat quietly, weaving bamboo strips into a mat, trying to ignore the people around him.

            The shouts of the man coordinating the entire trip dominated every other sound. A plump man with well-oiled curly hair and who wore way too much perfume. Adhi's assistant, Kairav.

            Zyaan kept weaving away, sending the strip of bamboo under and over, minding his fingers though he had sanded down the sharp edges.

            A voice pulled him from his thoughts, and when he looked up, four snarling bodyguards were looking at him. He knew why they were here. There was no need to ask.

"Olins should walk. How dare you sit with our women?" the first one said.

A second one pushed forward, his thick beard speckled with the crumbs from his morning meal.

"We should make him walk the rest of the way. Maybe he would die along the way. One last dog to kill."

Zyaan went back to his weaving. He was not in the mood to fight. He picked up a new bamboo strip to start the process all over again. His mother had taught him this craft. Back at home, he had made many useful things

"HEY. HOW DARE YOU IGNORE US?" the first one barked, punching the wagon and causing it to rock slightly.

Unnerved by his actions, Zyaan looked up at him with a cold stare that angered him further. He hopped onto the wagon, his boots landing with a heavy thump that shook the tray. The women scampered back, sensing trouble.

"Let him be. He has done you nothing!" Maiya shouted at the guard.

"Be quiet, or I will give you some as well," the guard said.

He stepped closer and roared. He lunged, a folded fist coming toward Zyaan. Thinking quickly, he shot a leg out with brute force. In his mind, he was thinking back to those training dummies. The crack of the ligament and bone greeted Zyaan. A slight smile crossed his lips as he saw the knee fold backward, the joint giving way to the impact of the kick. The man screamed out and fell off the end of the wagon. His hollering filled the quiet morning with chaos. Everyone turned to look at the man as he rolled around on the ground, holding his knee.

            Zyaan stood, and Maiya joined him, holding his arm as she shook with fear. Kalaya was marching toward them. Behind her was her brother.

"What is going on here?" she said with a demanding tone through gritted teeth. "What happened to my guard?"

"My Lady, this is not Zyaan's fault. This guard attacked him, and he was only defending himself, "Maiya said. "It was an accident."

Zyaan looked at her, the guilt rising. He wondered why she seemed so eager to defend him. It was a good thing she did. One against so many guards was terrible odds.

"You did this?" the princess said, her face twisted with scorn. "How dare you!"

"The witness said it was self-defense, didn't she?" Adhi said as he casually made his way to the scene. He lifted his gaze and placed it on Zyaan, his eyes sending a message that made Zyaan curious. "What happened?" he asked Zyaan. A moment passed, and Zyaan could tell he was growing impatient. "I asked what happened. Answer me!" he barked.

"He attacked me," Zyaan said, his voice calm.

"My Lord, forgive me, but Zyaan is not at fault. This guard attacked him because he is Olin," Maiya said with her head lowered and hand clasped.

The Akai prince looked down at the guard, his crown shimmering in the morning sunlight.

"Pick him up and take him away. We leave for Avadata," he said. Zyaan stared at him through squinted eyes, this regal man bedazzled with intricate gold jewelry. He looked up and caught Zyaan looking at him. They locked stares, their eyes trying to see past the defenses of each other. "Come with me," he said.