Chapter 13

Mount Sadasana

             The mountain air was crisp and unpolluted by the filth created by society. Rushing water cascaded across mounds of moss-slicked stones and rocks toward the roaring river below. Birds chirped in every direction and from every distance while monkeys hooted and played in the trees.

Mount Sadasana was where he was born twenty years ago in a small temple secluded in the sprawling woods. That day, his empire fell, and his father died. He was welcomed into a world of turmoil and fear by a woman who had slowly lost her mind over the coming years. Zyaan had been confused for a long time, struggling to understand who he was. Days spent training made him physically prepared, but his mind was lagging. He had seen the many sacrifices that his mother had made for his happiness. He understood his duty was to repay her, but he was still lost and confused.

He clutched his shawl close to his heart as sorrow consumed him. Being dragged out here by Reiji was a punishment.

"Isn't this beautiful?" Maiya said from beside him. "I have never been here. I have traveled many places with My Lady, but we never came this way."

He looked from his seat on the stone steps at the water nearby as it tumbled over the rocks and boulders into the massive pool below. The trees bowed toward the stream, wishing to have their thirst quenched just like he desired to find his way.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

He forced a smile on his face and nodded. "Just enjoying the view." He looked away for a moment. "How long have you been working for her? Is she good to you?"

"Princess Kalaya? Do not get me wrong, she has her moods, but she is not bad. I started working for her three years ago when I turned sixteen. The princess looks after us. She makes sure we are taken care of and never disrespected. See..." She showed him a gold bracelet on her wrist, "...she gave me this on my birthday."

"And the empress. What is their relationship like?"

"I am not sure, but Princess Kalaya is always in a bad mood after visiting her mother. Many people say that the empress is cruel to her daughters."

"And Adhi?"

"What is with all these questions?" she hissed. "We are in this lovely place. We have done all our work and have some time to spare before the evening meal. Why can't we enjoy ourselves for once? Escort me somewhere! Let us go out and buy some desserts from the monks. I heard they are excellent." She jumped to her feet, and he looked at her with a regretful stare.

"I have no money!"

"Oi, this boy!" She lamented to the sky and then slapped him on the shoulder. "I know that, you dummy! You have already explained it. I will buy this time, and then the next time, you can buy."

He dropped his gaze to the ground. He wanted to go, but his guilt shackled him. His reason for being here was not to enjoy the company of a new friend.

"Do you not think...that maybe...you should not eat so much desserts? Wouldn't you like to keep your figure?"

"Let us go. Stop being so sulky all the time!" She grabbed him by the arm and yanked him effortlessly to his feet. Her thick legs were like anchors, and her grip was like a chain. There was no chance of resistance. "Zyaan, a handsome boy like you must smile more often. Like Prince Adhi."

"That idiot..." He rolled his eyes.

"Do not say such things, you dummy. Let us go!"

She yanked at him again to get going, and they hurried toward the busy temple square, already busy with other visitors.