Chapter 9

City of Avadata

Celebration met the royal procession. People were filling the streets to get a peek inside the regal carriages. Horns and drums echoed, and chants recited his and Kalaya's name as the residents of Avadata welcomed them home.

From inside the carriage, he watched them in silence. Familiar buildings and sights caught his eye. The excitement of returning home was building.

His present company had offered no form of conversation to entertain him. One-word answers and head gestures countered every attempt he made to start a conversation with the peasant. Boredom had made the trip more tedious than the bumpy terrain and cold wind.

Quietly staring out the window, his eyes aimlessly gazing at the faces peering in at him, Zyaan's lips remained tightly pressed. Tendrils of fine hair stuck to his face where they had dried after his bath.

Adhi looked at him in deliberation. He wanted to try a last time to pull him out of his deep rumination. Adhi could sense a deep sorrow in him, and he longed to know what had caused it. He wished to see him smile. Adhi wanted to show him how beautiful the world was no matter where you came from.

"Are you still angry at me? I said I was sorry already," he said.

Zyaan replied with a shake of his head.

"Have you made your decision? I can give you a place to stay in my quarters. I promise not to steal any more kisses from you."

He gave Adhi a listless gaze this time and then returned to staring out the window.

"There will be good food and a comfortable bed. I will buy you whatever clothes and jewelry you would like. I will ask the garment maker to come to the palace. You can choose whatever you want from his selection."

Adhi did not expect a reaction. Zyaan was not materialistic. He reached across and swept away the hairs stuck to his face. His fingers grazed his soft skin, sending a shiver trickling down his spine. He could not understand how anyone could be so perfect.

"Anyone would love to have a tour of the palace. To see what it is like on the inside. The palace of divinity is highly guarded. People can be executed just for being caught on the grounds."

"Then why are you inviting me there?" he hissed, his eyes beaming with accusation.

Adhi smiled and then removed his signet ring from his pinky finger. The ring was his seal, his form of identity. His identification document and royal seal bore his dynasty's emblem, but this ring had his. He held it out to Zyaan.

"Take my ring. Once you wear it, no one will hurt you."

The Olin's lips parted. His tired eyes were plagued by a different emotion this time. Growing weary of his hesitation, Adhi grabbed his hand and slipped the ring onto his right index finger. The peasant gingerly touched it in awe. Adhi smiled in understanding. He must have never seen something like this before. The ring was solid gold with the image of a wolf and the characters that spelled Adhi's full name engraved on the top. A halo of diamonds surrounded the seal, and ornate engravings decorated the thick shanks.

"Do you think your father would appreciate you giving your ring to me? After all, I am Olin."

"Do not misjudge my father, Zyaan. Many people believe that my father is some monstrous tyrant who sends people to their deaths for merely looking at him. My father is a good man. He has his flaws. But he did what he must to become a great emperor. Any man would do the same in his position. He destroyed the Olin when they were at their weakest point, and many see him as a coward for it. But I see him as a genius. He used their greed and ego against them. He won an empire for his people. Do not forget Zyaan that the Olin are also guilty of mistreating others. My father has told me many stories. The one about how he came to marry my mother stands out the most in my mind. It was out of heartbreak. A wounded man who was trying to cure his pain."