Chapter 11

Steam rose from the food laid out in porcelain bowls and platters. The smell signified it was time to eat, but hunger was evading him. Around the palace, servants marched to and from the rooms, polishing furniture, making beds, and taking dirty clothes away to launder. Their footsteps and chatter were like a symphony that filled the palace with life. Peacocks screamed in the gardens while male servants tended the trees and plants. All these things reminded him that he was home, but Adhi did not feel like himself.

         He did not sleep much, thanks to Kalaya's remarks. He tossed and turned as nightmares plagued his mind. He feared that Zyaan would run far away to escape him. He had reflected on himself for a while and wondered if maybe he could change, become someone else who was less boring and odd, but Adhi was not sure where to begin. How did someone change themself?

"Must we wait on him, Father? He is late!" Kalaya complained.

Adhi looked at her with a cold stare. Covered from head to toe in gold and precious stones, she glittered as brightly as the morning sun, and yet, to him, she was as dark as the Kohl around her eyes. Kalaya was always well-groomed and well-dressed, never shying away from vanity and self-admiration, but Adhi could sense the insecurities festering within her.

"Kalaya, how can you be so mean toward him? He will soon be your husband," another sister said.

With a patient smile illuminating his face, Zale replied to his annoyed daughter, "Behave Kalaya. Reiji sent me a message this morning that he is going to the temple first to give thanks that his journey was safe. Did you or Adhi think about thanking God that you are alive?"

Their father's announcement silenced the loathsome young woman. Adhi ignored them as he stared at the food on the table, his mind traversing the many possibilities of Zyaan's escape. He knew he should have gone to the temple with his mother, but he lacked the vitality.

Footsteps stirred his attention. He looked up and saw the Aisu prince hurrying toward them down the open corridor that overlooked the courtyard. He stopped below the arched entranceway and bowed at Zale, who motioned with a soft smile for him to come and sit.

He took his seat opposite Adhi, and he smiled awkwardly at the sullen Akai prince. Adhi tried his best to return the gesture but could manage a smirk. The emperor snapped his fingers, indicating to the servants that it was time to start serving the food.

"These are Adhi's favorites. His mother had them prepared this morning. She has also gone to the temple to give thanks for his safe return," Zale said.

"It looks delicious!" Reiji said.

Adhi stared at the fragrant mustard greens and banana fritters that sat next to a platter of sweet fish seasoned with vinegar and onions and then steamed until it was succulent and juicy. Steamed eggs, already peeled, and coconut rice awaited him. The smell of ginger and garlic lifted with the smoke from the roasted pork belly slices expertly arranged on a platter, but still, Adhi felt no hunger. Sweet rice pudding and candied fruits sat only a few fingertips away. His mouth should be watering, his stomach roaring.

"How are your accommodations?" Zale asked Reiji. He sliced into the fish, fresh steam lifting from its white, juicy flesh, and placed it onto his porcelain plate.

"Very comfortable, thank you, Emperor."

Prompted by the action of Zale eating the piece of fish, the rest of the table started eating. Kalaya began with the steamed egg. She mixed it with the mustard greens and shoveled it into her mouth without concern about manners. She picked up a piece of pork already sliced by the servants and ate it with a joyful expression.