t w e n t y

"I can't believe you're leaving me." Aimee frowned. "I've been stuck with you since we were eighteen. What am I going to do now?"

Florence felt the tears in her eyes as her friend spoke. Four years they had been living together, seeing each other every day for three years, spending Christmases and welcoming the New Year together. She sniffled as Aimee pulled her into a hug. "I'll be back to see you with Apollo every day."

"Or you can come and see her." Mason added. "We have loads of space for you to come and visit! You're welcome at any time!"

"I'd like that. Thank you, Mason!"

The car ride to Mason's home was quiet, the only noise coming from Apollo happily panting away in the back seat, despite being surrounded by half of Florence's belongings. The feeling of overwhelm engulfed her and she found herself sobbing. She pulled over, picking up her phone and pressed call.

"Flossie, is everything okay?"

The girl began to sob even more. "No! I miss you so much."

The woman on the other end on the phone laughed as she listened to Florence sobbing. "Florence Martin, I'm seein' ya on Monday night! You can't get rid of me that easy!"

Mason sat up to find his girlfriend sat on the chair, her chin resting on her knees as she stared out the window. The dog curled up by the feet of the chair, snoring loudly. Mason glanced over at the alarm clock on his bedside table. It was 4:30 in the morning. Florence kept her gaze on the outside, not knowing Mason had awoken after feeling an empty spot in place of where she should've been.

"Have you even slept, Flo?"

"No, I couldn't sleep. I always find it hard on my first night at a new place."

Mason frowned. "You should've told me, baby. I would've sat up with you! I thought because you've slept here loads before, it would've been fine! I'm sorry, Flo!"

"Mase, don't stress. I'm fine. I'm just gunna watch the sunrise and then I'll head back into bed."

She was sat with her thick framed glasses and one of Mason's old tops, her hair pulled back into a messy ponytail. He was amazed by her effortless beauty. She didn't need to try for him to be blown away. She looked so peaceful and serene. You wouldn't have been able to guess that she had been up for hours. Apollo had somehow managed to wake himself up from his snoring, causing the couple to laugh at him. She looked over at Mason and they began to laugh again. She thought about how nice it was to be able to sit there and just have little moments with the person she loved.

"Come on, let's go sit on the balcony." He smiled at her, pushing himself out of bed.

"Don't you have training at like nine?"

"Babe, it's break. I'm all yours for the next five weeks."

"Unfortunately, I'm all Declan's monday to friday, nine to five, for the next five weeks!" The woman joked.

"I may or may not have conspired with Kyle and Adam to get you some leave. Two weeks in fact. Kyle's going to take your work load with Dec and Adam is doing the brand."

"Mason Mount, you are lying."

Mason shook his head. "We just used up the last bit of your leave. It's your last week at the company next week and then you're all free for the next four weeks, until you start at Declan's as your own little employee. I wanted to give you time to get used to being here and seeing it as your own space without stressing about work on top."

"You are too good to me, Mase."

They sat in silence, the warm summer air blowing on their skin. Florence's head resting on Mason's shoulder with Apollo sprawled out across both their laps. Florence stared out watching the mixture of oranges, blues and pinks. A brand new day, a brand new start for the both of them. Mason would've stayed this way forever if he could, watching the sun rise with the girl he loved on a summer morning. Maybe, minus the heavy dog on their laps but Mason wouldn't have it any other way. To him, what was happening in that moment was perfect.
---
The house was packed full of people, both of whom she knew and those she didn't. She was expecting a small gathering with only their close friends but it felt like every football player had invited their indvidual teams. She had struggled to find her friends but she knew they would be very starstruck by the players in the room. Her eyes landed on Sasha and she ran to her, giving her a massive hug. "I've missed you, you bitch!"

She laughed, taking a sip of her drink. "No drink for you?" Sasha gasped. "Oh my God, are you-"

Florence interrupted her by immediately shaking her head and repeatedly saying "No." She laughed at her best friend's assumption and began to think that maybe she did have a slight drinking problem. "What even made you think that, Sash? Are you tapped?"

"Where's Mason? I've not seen him yet, Jack wanted to say hi!"

"Aye, I did!" Jack added, pulling the younger girl into a hug. "Gotta make sure, he's treatin' ya right, Floss!"

"Well, let me know if you find him because I've lost him myself."

Jack handed the younger woman a drink. "Get it down the 'atch, Flossie!"

Florence cringed as the whiskey hit her throat. She hated whiskey and Jack knew that, she watched as he began laughing at her reaction. She went to smack his arm as Jack began to sprint away from the pair.

Mason sat in his room with Apollo, petting at him. The blaring music making his head hurt. Apollo whimpered at the loud noise. "It's okay, big guy. It'll be over soon enough."

Florence's head was spinning as she glanced around the room trying to find her boyfriend. It had been two hours since she first started searching with neither Declan or Ben or anyone knowing where he was. She was beginning to get stressed, what if he just left her there alone in his house and something broke? Or what if someone had kidnapped him for ransom and she didn't have enough to get him back? The stress mixed with the alcohol all her friends were handing to her was starting to get to her and she found herself growing overwhelmed by the noise. She rushed upstairs and into their room, slamming the door behind her, in hopes that the music wouldn't be as loud. She found herself mistaken and found Mason sat on the floor with the dog. "Thank God, you're here. I'm going to kick them all out, Apollo is absolutely distraught! I needed someone to find us, to come stay with him or he'll go insane."

"Please do, there's so many people. I thought it would only be like Sash, Dec, Aims and them lot." Florence nodded, as she sat with her back against the door. "Come here, 'pol." she smiled at the dog. "Give me a cuddle."

All that was left after Mason cleared everyone out was their close friends. They sat in the living room, chatting way as Apollo made his rounds getting pets from each and every single person in the room, before settling at Aimee's feet, lying on his back. The room was filled with small chatter and individual conversations. Florence preferred it like this, she loved close intimate meets with her friends. It felt more genuine and she was able to enjoy all their company without having to shuffle about between people. She sat sandwiched between Trent and Declan, as they laughed at a story that Jack was telling them all. Mason watched on at the friends, genuinely happy that his girlfriend got along so well with his teammates.

"I love seein' you happy, Georgie, but if he does anythin' to you and it pees me off, I'll smack him silly."

"I don't doubt you will, Arnold. Thank you for looking out for me. Lovin' you so much."

"Love ya, George."

"Love ya too, Adele."

They had spent the night drinking and talking, letting the time fly. None of them noticing that it was past seven in the morning until Apollo was nudging at the living door in an attempt to get to the kitchen. Florence enjoyed seeing both sides of her friendships merge and actually get along and to her surprise, Kyle actually was on his best behaviour.
---

papa martin<3
Text Message
Today 09:04

Good morning, sweetheart.

When are you inviting us to the
new place then? Tilly can't wait
to see her Auntie Flossie and
Masey.

Send my love to Mason.

Today 13:33

welcome here at any point dad.
just give us a date and we'll put it
in our calendar. i'm off work for a
month now xx

will do, what about ur
daughter ???

will give you a call when we get
back from lunch xx

OK, Mason's girlfriend lol