Chapter 1

Clarissa

Darkness. It was dark. I tried to blink, but nothing happened. Darkness? I forced my eyes open, my vision blurred with extreme pain. It all came back to me: the war, Aric, Lesso- I froze, looking around. Aric was wrestling with Lady Lesso, murderous fury in his eyes. The odd flash of metal indicated the fatal presence of his knife. My eyes darted around frantically. A weapon? Anything? I zeroed in on a broken stymph bone, rushing over and grabbing. Lesso and Aric were a blur: rolling over, grappling for the knife. Both stopped, Aric standing over her, knife in hand. Quickly, I took a deep breath and plunged the bone into his back. Aric immediately collapsed on top of Lesso. I kicked him off my friend, rushing to her side. 'Lady Lesso?' My voice was frantic. She groaned. Her grey eyes were dull, clouded with pain. My gaze fell to her stomach, where her purple dress was slowly turning red.

I cried out in fear. There was blood, so much blood. I could feel hot, wet tears, rolling down my face. She'll be fine. Fine. I mentally repeated. I pointed my glowing finger at her wound. The blood retracted slightly, but for the most part, remained as it was. I lifted her up, cradling her in my arms. 'Merlin!' I screamed, my voice breaking. The wizard appeared in my peripheral vision, rushing over to us. I was an incoherent wreck, my tears commingling with her blood. Merlin pointed his finger at Lesso, muttering rapidly under his breath. I brushed a stray strand of red hair out of her face, watching her gaze flit around the clearing, semi-conscious. Merlin looked up at me, relief clear on his face. 'She'll be okay.'

A/N:

Sorry for the short chapter! Next chapters will be much longer. You may have noticed I mentioned Lesso's trademark purple gown from the books: I'll probably blend some aspects of the characters. Since this was a very central feature for her, I thought it'd be good to include it. Leave a comment to tell me how this chapter was!