- Chapter One -

It was the middle of summer, and a warm one at that. Odetta, a young woman of 19, had spent most of the day in the flower field, gathering flowers, reading under the trees, or simply clearing her mind of doubts and worrisome thoughts—not that she had anything to worry about.

The evening sun had begun to set, allowing deep yellow hues and a warm orange tinge to warm the remaining blue of the sky, and the clouds were kissed with pinks and oranges as the sun peeked behind the hillside.

Soft light still lingered, Gathering up her book, Odetta made the journey back towards the house, where her sister had been preparing a fish stew with the fish she had caught earlier. She loved it here, in Coccham; she found it peaceful. She lived with her older sister, Gisela, and her new husband, Uhtred, and her niece and nephew, Uhtred and Stiorra, whom she loved with her whole heart.

By the time Odetta had reached the dining hall, her sister had already begun to serve supper. She looked around the room, her gaze drawn to her brother-in-law sitting beside a young monk she didn't recognise, who couldn't have been older then 18 or 19 speaking softly among themselves.

"Every person in every town has been instructed to pray that she is alive," the monk says with a handful of fish stew in his mouth. "and is kept well," he continues.

"Then she will surely be alive, kept well, and will be free in no time." Uhtred spoke, a sense of amusement lingering in his voice. He put a spoonful in his mouth, but before he could say more, Gisela came next to him with the children and told him to say goodnight.

"Do you not believe, Lord?" Osferth asks

"Oh I believe", Uhtred says placing a kiss on top of his daughters head, " But in the true gods, and in fate" he continued, tickling is son around his middle, who let out a giggle and hugs back into his mother

"Sister, are the children off to bed?" Odetta asks, walking into the room with her book in hand. Before her sister can reply, young Uhtred rushes to her side and takes hold of her hand.

"Auntie Ottie, can you read us a bedtime story tonight?"

"If your mother says it's alright, then I shall," she says, kneeling down to her nephew's level and placing a kiss against his forehead. She awaits a nod from her sister. Once she gets approval, she picks up her nephew, kissing every inch of his face. Giggles erupt from the young boy.

A huge smile is on her face, a smile that is bewitching to all. "Come on, sweet boy, let's pick you out a story," she says, setting her nephew down and returning her attention to her brother-in-law and the young monk.

"I'll be back momentarily," she said, picking up her niece from her sister's and heading up the stairs while her nephew ran up in front of her.

"Lord, who was that?" The young monk inquires

"That is Gisela's younger sister, Odetta; why do you ask?" Uhtred states, continuing to eat his supper, while Gisela returns and sits in a seat opposite her husband.

"You wish to serve a heathen, Osferth?" Gisela inquires, a small smile on her face as she hears the sounds of her son's laughter.

"God is in all good men, lady." But my uncle Leofric has told me often that your husband is a good man—a great man," Osferth says quietly, looking down at his supper.

Uhtred moved his head to meet with the young monk.

"He said that?"

"Yes, he did, lord"

"And yet this good man here will only let you join him for one reason only; to embarrass Alfred." Gisela said, staring down at Osferth,

Uhtred, who smirked and looked at his wife, said, "It's true."

Osferth went quiet. A frown formed on his face as he continued to play with his stew, no longer feeling hungry. Taking a moment to gather himself, he turns his head to look at Uhtred.

"That may be the reason you allow me to join you, Lord, but I will give you reason to let me stay."

"You have been brought here by faith, Osferth." Gisela pauses, saying, "If all they have in Winchester is prayer, then they will need something more." "We will go to Winchester," she says to Osferth with a smile.

"We will not," Uhtred said aloud; "no, do not listen to her, Osferth."

"This is what you want; why are you being so childish and stubborn about it?" Gisela says with a sigh

"We'll go when I get news from Beamfleot," Uhtred says, prompting Gisela to give Osferth a loving smile and him to return it.

"Now if you'd excuse us, Osferth, we'll bid you goodnight"

"Goodnight, Lord, Lady Gisela," he says, giving the couple a nod.

——

It had been 15 minutes when Odetta returned down the stairs, only to find the young monk sitting alone, ladling a portion of stew into a bowl, and passing it to her.

"Oh thank you" she said " you didn't have to do that, really"

"It's no problem at all lady,"

"May I ask what your name is?" Odetta asked

"I'm called Osferth, lady; I am simply called Osferth," he replies with a small smile.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Osferth."

"May I ask?" she says slowly. "What is a monk like yourself doing here with Uhtred and his men?" she asks, generally curious about his answer.

"I would like to serve alongside Uhtred, my lady, as my uncle did."

"It was my understanding that he did not require a monk." She says this while putting a spoonful of stew to her mouth.

"No, not as a monk, my lady, but as a warrior." Osferth says softly,

"Well, Osferth, I think you'll make a great warrior; truly, once you have some training, I think you'll be a great one."

"Thank you, my lady"

"Call me Odetta, Osferth," she says as she finishes her bowl and places it aside. "The hour is late; I shall bid you goodnight," and she walks back up the stairs to her room.

Osferth remained seated, his gaze fixed on the girl as she made her way up the stairs. Hearing the door close, he allowed a moment of silence to fall over him. He closes his eyes and lets out a sigh. Rest didn't come easy for him that night; his mind was plagued with many thoughts and worries that maybe this was a mistake, but once rest came, his dreams were filled with a young woman he'd met that evening.

Odetta.