- Chapter Thirteen -

TW: death in childbirth!

It was dark when I awoke.

It was the hour of the wolf when I felt the feeling of my body being shaken and my sister's pleas for me to wake.

"Odetta," she whispered.

"Sister, please wake up."

"Gisela?" Odetta says, "What is it?" "What is wrong?" "Is it the baby?" But before her sister could speak,  Odetta looked down at the sister's shift—the bottom of it was drenched, and her face wore a pain-filled expression.

Her sister had started her labour.

"I guess the littlest member of our family is ready to make his or her way into the world."

As Odetta says this, Gisela grabs onto her bump and her sister's hand, breathing deeply as a contraction hits.

Odetta was up in an instant—grabbing a cloak to wrap around her—and helped Gisela back to her room and helped change her into a clean shift.

The children had awoken to the sound of their mother's pain and had come into view in the doorway. Both still in their nightwear—-Storria latched onto her older brother's arm, and with her other arm, she held her teddy tightly underneath it, wiping the sleep from her eyes.

"Is Mama going to be okay, Auntie Ottie?"

"Yes, sweet boy." Odetta says, "It appears that your little brother or sister has decided to grace us."

Both of the children had rushed straight into their mother's arms. Gisela held them to her, hugging them tightly and reassuring them that she was fine and that soon their brother or sister would be here. She placed many kisses on top of both of their heads.

"Let's get you both back to bed." Gisela said to her children, "Go with your Auntie Odetta."

"Goodnight, my loves,"

"Goodnight Mama,"

——

Five hours have passed, and the sun has only just begun to rise.

Gisela's labour has progressed, and her contractions are becoming more and more painful. Thrya had rushed over at the first light to help take care of and distract the children. Hild was also present and had come down the evening prior, as had some of the midwives Gisela had with her two previous births back at Coccham. 

Her once white shift—-now covered in blood and sweat, making her shift slightly see-through. Gisela walked slowly around her room, clutching her belly, when pain erupted through her. Odetta hated seeing her darling sister like this. Each time she gasped and screamed in pain as a contraction hit, Odetta felt hopeless. hopeless that she could not rid her sister of her pain. All she could do at this time was be by her sister's side, holding her—holding her hand—and letting her know that she was not alone, that she was here—would not leave her side, and that she and this little baby would be fine.

Odetta was currently sitting behind her sister as she laid her back against her chest, holding her and placing a cold cloth on her sister's forehead. Odetta's clothes were covered in blood, but she did not care, as she only cared for the safety of her sister.

Both Gisela and Odetta were terrified of being in the birthing bed; although they wished for children, they both knew the risks and the likelihood that they could die—too many women did.

—-—
As the hours passed by—the more uncomfortable Gisela became.

Gisela gasped and gritted her teeth as another contraction began. She screams, "Oh gods!"