- Chapter Three -

A few days had passed since that day they shared in the fields, and it was the day Uhtred and his men were off on their journey to Beamfleot. The pair spent the rest of their time together before he left, usually reading under one of the larger trees and having meaningful conversations and stories from their upbringing and favourite memories, and by the end of the third evening, they had formed a strong bond—a friendship. The evening prior, Uhtred had informed his men they would leave by first light.

All of Uhtred's men had gathered around the table in the dining hall, most of them still half-asleep and wiping the sleep from their eyes while taking bites of food that had been prepared in preparation for their long journey ahead. The light outside had yet to rise, and it was still quite dark. It had brought a slight chill that lingered in the air—Odetta had wrapped a warm cloak around her shoulders and shifted in her seat, which was next to Osferth, who was still rather sleepy from being woken up so early and took a bite of his bread and stew.

Half the men had been ordered to prepare the weapons and the horses. The hall grew still and quiet. Soft chatter among the men was heard, and footsteps echoed. Odetta and Osferth sat at the table, both eating a bowl of stew. Both had leaned closer to one another—in a non-romantic way, using their body heat to warm one another. Though others might glance over and think something was happening between the young pair, both Osferth and Odetta knew they needed this closeness. Osferth was anxious and started to fidget. Odetta noticed and placed her hand into his warm one, giving it a reassuring squeeze out of comfort and letting him know she was here and he would be safe.

He returned his gaze to her, her hazel eyes returning his and a soft smile appearing on her lips—those rosy lips that Osferth wished he could one day feel on his. His gaze never left hers, and her soft smile was reciprocated—but then he let out a shaky sigh.

"You will be fine, my dear Osferth," she says softly, almost like a whisper, so none of the men overhear their conversation. "Please do not worry so."

"I am scared, Odetta." Oferth admits "I've no clue how to wield a sword, never been to battle and have no idea how long it'll be till I see you again"

She doesn't say anything; their fingers are still intertwined—she slowly runs her thumbs softly over his and rests her head on his shoulder. Both say nothing; just soak up the peace that is in the silence.

"I will pray," she says softly. "I will pray for you; I will pray for your safety; and I will pray that by the end of this journey you will return to me." "I shall not lose you, Osferth—I cannot."

"I do not think I could bear it"

"You won't lose me, my love." He says this and moves his body towards her, grasping both her smaller hands in his, his gaze fixed on hers. "I might be scared, but one thing I'm most sure about is that you shall never lose me, and I will always return to you, no matter what."

"I promise you, Odetta—I promise." and then places his forehead against hers, both of them forgetting where they are and that the room is filled with men. Both of them breathing in each other's scent—which instantly calms them both down, and a small smile lingers on their lips.

——

The first of the morning light had begun to rise above the horizon. All the men now fed and stood beside their assigned horses just outside the stables—weapons at the ready. Gisela had brought the children out for Uhtred to say his goodbyes. Odetta had already said her goodbyes to two of Uhtred's men—Finan and Sihtric. Odetta then moved towards Uhtred, hugged him and said her goodbyes. He assured her they would be fine and back in a matter of weeks and placed a kiss on top of her head. Gisela returned to her husband's side and gave him one last kiss before he hopped on his horse.

Osferth had remained by her side until he had to leave. Odetta turned towards him and hugged him tightly; he lowered his head and buried his face into her neck, neither of them wanting to let go.
"Be safe, Osferth," she says, "return back to me, please." She was the one to let go, her hands on his shoulders, her eyes looking into his—now filled with worry.

"I promise you, Odetta, I will return to you, and no one, not even the gods, can stop me."

"Return to me, in one piece"

"I will—I promise you"

"Wait, Osferth, before you leave, I wanted to give this to you." Her hands went behind her neck and unclasped the necklace she was currently wearing—it was her favourite one, given to her by her sister, and she hardly ever took it off, even when she bathed. It was made of a silver chain with a blue crystal like stone interviewed in the middle. She handed it to him. His hand was open, and his face had a look of confusion.

"It's to keep you safe and protected and when you return I would like it back" she said softly

"Thank you, Odetta" he replies "I'll protect it with my life" and placed it around his neck

She walked him to his horse, placed a kiss on his cheek, and gave his hand a gentle, reassuring squeeze once more before he hopped on his horse and turned to where Uhtred and his men were waiting for him.