- Chapter Ten -

It has been four days since they arrived in Winchester. The winter temperatures were felt more here, Odetta reckoned. Odetta did like Winchester; she found it to be a lovely place, but it was not the same as home. Much like if Odetta and Osferth were back at Coccham, in their free time, they took strolls around the grounds and read/reread the books they both had packed with them.

By now, the majority of everyone had heard the news about the young couple. Odetta and Osferth did not care that people knew. And for those who did, they were overjoyed, some even joked that it took them only three years. The children were even happy about the news, but they were happy to see their aunt was happy.

Osferth was doing more of his training with Finan, and Odetta had come with him pretty much the majority of the time. As they had now moved temporarily to Winchester, Odetta knew it was only a matter of time before Uhtred and his men would leave again, taking her love with them.

Osferth did his best to reassure her and settle the dread she was feeling, but even he felt a little dread in his heart about having to leave her again. It was not something either wished for, but Odetta knew Osferth wished to be a warrior, and in so doing, leaving and heading into battle was why he was training in the first place. The thought had stressed her out, thinking of the possibilities of something happening to him or any of the men.

Gisela was in her ninth month, and she was due any day now. Odetta would be there at the delivery, like she had been with her niece and nephew. In all honesty, the birth scares her, but her sister is strong and has done it twice already, and Odetta prays that this third and final time in the birthing bed is easy on her beloved sister.

——

It was the morning of the fifth day, and it was rather cold and dreary. Odetta spent her morning with her sister and the children. The warmth of the fire filled the room as the children played on the rug right next to it. Thrya had joined the two sisters, assisting them with the food preparations and watching over the children. Odetta was in the kitchen, taking fresh bread off the fire, and Gisela was cleaning the tables as the two sisters quietly chatted softly among themselves.

"Have you thought of what the baby's name will be, sister?"

"I think he will be a boy," Gislea said.

"If we were to have another boy, Uhtred and I agreed on the name, Osbert."

"Oh, little Osbert, I love that, and for a girl?"

"I wish for her to be named after you, sister." and hearing that Odetta's eyes tear up with happiness

"I am truly honoured sister."

Before Gisela continues cleaning up, the two sisters embrace one another and give each other a soft simile. Odetta then goes to see how Storria is doing beside the fireplace. As Odetta does this, Uhtred walks through the door.

"I'll take this," young Uhtred says to his mother, taking the things out of her hands and into his.

"What's this, Gisela?"

"We have servants to prepare food." "You could be resting."

"I have said this to her." Thyra says to her brother

"How can I rest with this wild boy inside me?"

"A priest has just told me the same; you are carrying a boy."

"Of course it's a boy; he will not keep still." "Thankfully, he will be the last," Gisela told her husband.

"You can't prevent that."

"Oh, I know how to prevent it." "He will be the last." Gisela moves around the table as Uhtred's arms wrap around her swollen stomach and pull her to him, I guess taking in the sight of her with a child for the last time.

Silence falls in the room before Gisela notices Uhtred's worried look.

"You are marching?"

"What?" "You're leaving so soon," Odetta said.

"Yes, I will join Finan, and then we are marching."

With that, Odetta removes the apron from around her and places it on the table as she hurries out of the room. She had to find Osferth if he were to leave; she wanted to spend more time with him. She looked around the grounds and headed to the training yard, but she could not find him. She wanders around some more and finds him readying the horses.

"You're leaving," she says to him.

Osferth turns around as she says this with a sad look on his face.

"Yes, we are." "I am sorry, my love."

"W-when do you leave?" Odetta asks him

"We leave before night fall."

"And how long will you be gone for?"

"I am not sure, my love." "Hopefully a few days to a week or two at best?"

With this, Osferth walks forward and takes Odetta into his arms. "I do not wish for you to leave," Odetta says, mumbling into his chest.

"I do not want to leave you behind either, my love."

"But no matter how hard it is, it is something I have to do."

"I know," Odetta mumbles against him, "but that still doesn't make it any easier."

"I know"

——

It was mid-afternoon, and lunch had finished being served. Uhtred had told his men, wife, and children they were to leave after they'd eaten. Osferth had remained by Odetta's side since they both heard the news, and both were filled with dread.

Osferth led Odetta to the room he was staying in and grabbed his armour and cloak. Odetta helped him into it, and her hands began to shake and fidget. Osferth took her hands into his and kissed them softly.

"It will be fine, my love."

"Please do not worry."

"It is hard not to when you leave," she says. "I do not know if you are safe."

"I will be careful and return to you, as I do not wish to break my promise."

Odetta lifts her head from Osferth's chest and walks with him to the window, where the men had begun to mount the horses as Uhtred and Sihtric were saying goodbye to their children.

With a sigh, both Odetta and Osferth knew it was time to go, so the young couple headed down to the horses. Odetta said her goodbyes to Finan, Sihtric, and Uhtred before turning to Osferth, who pulled her into a tight hug. Osferth's arm wrapped protectively around her waist as Odetta's arms wrapped around his neck, her head burrowing into it. They stayed like that for a few moments before Odetta lifted her head and was face to face with Osferth.

"You better come back to me, Osferth."

"I will, I promise."

With that, Odetta captures Osferth's lips with her, putting in as much love as she possibly could. The kiss was soft and passionate, and with one last peck, they break-away their lips lingering close to one-another as Odetta rested her forehead on Osferth.

"I love you," Odetta says to him.

"I love you," he says, "so much."

"Please be safe," she said, her voice filled with worry.

"I will be, please do not worry." As Osferth said this, he tucked a piece of loose hair behind her ear.

Osferth leads Odetta to his horse, but before he mounts his horse, he places another soft kiss on her lips.

"I love you, and I'll be back soon, I promise."

"I love you," Odetta says to him as he begins to ride over to the men and through the gates.