Chapter 29 - Visiting the orphanage

Joy sat in front of her mirror applying makeup. She combed her hair gently and  applied matching lip gloss to suit the red dress she wore. Her appearance was gorgeous and she wanted to look her best since she was visiting old friends.

Picking her hand bag, she stared at herself one more time at the mirror and a satisfying smile appeared on her face.

She walked out in stiletto heels and headed towards Nich's room. He was busy with his laptop again but she didn't mind.

"I'm visiting the orphanage today, Nich... would be back soon." She announced entering the room. It was obvious he didn't notice her presence at first due to his seriousness but on hearing her voice, he lifted his head.

Bewitched by the beautiful lady in front of him, his jaw dropped. Who's this stunning woman?

"You look sweet" he finally found his tongue.

Joy smiled. "I made lunch earlier. Make sure to eat and please rest... you're over working yourself." She advised him.

He looked at her and chuckled.

Joy frowned at him unaware of why he laughed. "Why are you mocking me? Do I have something in my face?" She demanded answers crossing her arms.

Nich laughed the more. "You just sounded like my mother..." 

Joy blushed releasing her arms. Oh.... that...she thought.

"How's she anyway?"

"Don't know. Probably somewhere in Spain with her boyfriend" he replied turning off his laptop.

"I see... when's she coming back?" She asked taking a seat.

"She said she's getting married soon. So I'm expecting her in 3 months time. Can't wait to meet her." He replied keeping the laptop inside a case. He put it into a drawer.

"I'm sure she misses you too. You guys have a strong bond. I would like to meet her also" she told him.

"I just hope she doesn't continue her nagging about me getting married. I can't stand that" he complained scratching his hair.

Joy gave him a funny stare "really? What's she like?" 

"She's troublesome...son I can't imagine I'm getting married again while my son is yet to have his own wife!.." Nich mimicked his mother's voice laughing.

Joy joined him. His mom must be a character then.

"She might even assume that you're her daughter in-law when she gets here" Nich replied looking at her eyes.

Joy stopped laughing. She rolled her eyes at him and silence fell.

He spoilt the fun. She was speechless.

Is that a proposal? She thought. That's ridiculous! He can't have feelings for a mere maid like me. He's just being playful...

"I'm going already. See you when I'm back." She replied standing up.

"Take the other car" he offered a car key to her.

She looked surprised and wondered why he was offering her his car.

"Ain't you going somewhere? I can just take a cab..." She hesitated.

"I have two cars. And besides the red one matches your dress... take it" he handed her the keys bringing up an excuse of how it suits her dress.

In the real Sense, he wanted her to use it as her own but he knew she would decline so he just said anything.

She nodded with a shrug. "Call me when you get to the bank" she said leaving the room but it sounded like a command.

Nich collapsed on the couch in a chuckle. "She sounds just like my mother..."

::::::::::::

At the front of the orphanage garage, joy alighted from the red car. Putting on her glasses, she stood admiring the bold writing on the pinnacle of the large building.

St. Augustine's orphanage.

She smiled boldly as she inhaled the air. This was where she had both good and bad moments. Her parents died shortly after her birth and she was transferred to the orphanage. Her life started here...

The building had paintings of children playing and was adorned with biblical pictures since it was a church orphanage.

She entered the building and met Miss Harley, her Godmother. She took care of her and made sure she didn't lack anything then. She was the one who even named her.

Miss Harley was a devotee of the church and became a reverend sister. She never got married.

Hugging her, miss Harley patted her hair with smiles. "I see my baby is all grown up... how have you been?" 

"I'm fine Miss Harley. How have you been? Look your turning old" she smiled pecking her.

"What do you expect from a woman in her late 50s? Wrinkles are about covering my eyes" Miss Harley joked offering her a seat.

"Na-ah... you still look beautiful. How are the kids?" Joy asked removing her glasses. She looked around.

She was dumbfounded not seeing anyone around. 

"Oh...on a picnic. I'm too old to play around with them." Miss Harley replied pouring her tea.

She sipped the liquid "Really? but this isn't the holiday period..." She said lowering the tea cup.

She looked at Miss Harley who was putting on cylindrical lenses.

"Some things have changed Joy. It's been 5 years already since you left..."  The old woman reminded her.

Joy nodded. "Oh my! You still have the bracelet?" Joy exclaimed with happiness pointing at the bracelet Miss Harley had on her wrist.

Miss Harley touched the bracelet smiling. "How can I lose something so special? It's the only thing you gave me while leaving... can't afford to lose it". She smiled at her.

Joy gave her a hug and she cried.

"I've really missed you." Miss Harley chuckled trying to hide her tears.

"Awwwn 🥺...I missed you too" joy wiped her tears off. Miss Harley smiled back happily.

"I can see you're doing well considering the car you rode in with... you're looking sweet" she pointed out.

"I'm a survivor...the car belongs to a friend" she explained interlocking her fingers.

Miss Harley brushed joy's cheek with her hands. "A boyfriend?" She asked winking.

Joy blushed. "Oh Miss Harley! Far from that"

"You should get married soon, I want to attend your wedding before I leave this life" Miss Harley said smiling at her.

"Off course! I can't have a wedding without you..." Joy laughed relaxing on the sofa.

Miss Harley laughed with her. "He must be a nice man then..."

"Who?" 

"The one who owns the car. You two must be VERY close" she replied giving her a weird look and stressing the word - very.

Joy shook her head trying to hide her feelings. "Oh Miss Harley, you've not changed one bit".

________

Wait for another update love.

Remember to vote and comment. Bye guys.