Chapter One: Red and Blue Lights

"How do you gut someone?" Sidney Prescott

1

    Sirens. She hated them so much, the flash of blue and red lights filling her peripherals as it continuously reminded her three things. Death, danger, destruction. Those three things continue to take from her, her mother, her father, and now her best friend. If she had the guts she would have gladly joined all of them with a quick swish flick of the knife.

(Y/n) was half awake when they rolled to a stop in front of the police station, her aunt was rubbing soothing circles into the girls hands as they moved through the crowd of reporters. Bright lights blinded her every movement she made towards the doors, the words theft from their mouths sounded like insects as they continued to question her about her 'relationship with the victim', and 'whereabouts before the murder'.

The worst part is, she had no clue what was going on. She was awoken from her sleep on the living room sofa when her aunt got home, her voice was panicked and grief stricken-as if it was her own child she was mourning for. Aunt Gia didn't give her any chance to change clothes, only ordered her to put on some shoes and to hop in the car.

It took them turning on the Main Street of the town to understand where they were headed. (Y/n) felt sick to her stomach, almost feeling a sense of dejavu. Only this time she wasn't an eight year old in the backseat of the car watching aimlessly, she was going to be eighteen in two weeks. Ten years since they were gone, now another person was ripped from her arms. The world was really cruel to her.

The police department was in shambles, officers were running amok in the building bringing in files-barking orders, she could smell the strong scent of coffee in the halls. She was sure she passed by an officer crying, a sight that twisted her stomach in knots, putting a large lump in her throat. It wasn't long before she heard it-sharp wailing of a mourning mother pleading to god. Her aunt stopped suddenly, her lip quivering slightly before turning to the teen behind her staring in confusion.

"(Y/n)," Gia was struggling to find the words she wanted to say in this situation. Her niece was smart and no fool, so lying and saying everything was okay she wouldn't fall for. So it was best to go in with the cold hearted truth. "T-there was a mur-,"

"Gia, finally,"  It was Officer Dewy the man was still plump as ever only now his face was set in a frown, he seemed to concentrated on the teen analyzing her confused expression before turning to her aunt, "I'm assuming you haven't told her why your here?"

"No, she hasn't," (Y/n) spoke finally what seemed like forever since they arrived, "Why are we here? Why are the reporters asking me about a victim?"

The deputy's face suddenly turned sympathetic, a gaze the man gave her years before when she was before him in an integration room ten years ago. When she was a child at the time she had no desire to speak to the man, 'stranger danger' is what her father had taught her, and she continued to hold that mindset until her grandmother arrived gently explaining why she needed to speak with him. She wanted to respect the man-she really did-but she'd never forgive him for never finding her parents' killers, a cold case he had called it over the news. They only looked into the case for five months before dropping it completely, ''gunpoint robbery happens all the time,' was a sorry excuse. Just tell the town how you fail to do your job to keep us safe instead of lying.