chapter 02 | little glances

"i swear, if you start playing paramore again-"

"i'm in love, so let me listen to still into you all i want," yangyang cuts off jeno with a huff, crossing his arms. "complain again and i'm taking my airpod back."

jeno still brought along his own earphones, but he keeps his mouth shut. yuta was taking forever to get whatever he was getting, and this was the best way to spend the past time. other than exchanging glances with blondie at the front desk, who kept winking back at him. he wanted to get up and talk to him again, show off some sort of confidence, and maybe bring up deftones too. right as still into you ends, it starts playing head like a hole, and he can sigh in relief.

until he checks his messages. he was surprised his dad, taeil, had bothered to send a text to him. usually, he calls because it's more convenient to him somewhat, especially since he knows jeno can't really ignore him if he does call. of course, he reads it.

your brother is leaving this monday
you'll want to come to the airport too i assume?

oh.

jeno's face drops when reading it and his friend noticing it, curiously questions his saddened expression. "what's up?"

"my brother's leaving," is all jeno says.

"leaving?" yangyang tilts his head to the side and turns the music down with his phone. "to go where? moving to another flat or somethin'?"

"no," jeno shakes his head before meeting his eyes. "he's moving to another country with his fiancé."

"since when did he have one?" yangyang sounds shocked.

"recently," jeno mumbles. "even my parents just found out yesterday."

jungwoo got mad at him several times for withholding stuff yet here he is. what's his excuse? what's his reason that makes him look "better?" jeno begs to listen to it. he saw through that 'i'm sorry' he sent. there was nothing else to it. he didn't mean it.

"wow, let you try that," yangyang scoffs, rolling his eyes.

"that's what i'm saying," jeno whispers. "just...forget about it."

jeno never responded to his dad's message. by the time yuta's done, jaemin's finally off as well to jeno's luck, and he finds himself hanging behind when they walk out to wait for him by the front door. jaemin had gone to the back, eventually re-emerging with a long jacket on. when he looks up from his phone, he immediately smiles at the sight of jeno.

"so, we're going for coffee," jaemin says. "your friends don't mind?"

"well..." jeno looks outside, seeing how confused they both looked before meeting jaemin's eyes again. "i didn't exactly ask but they shouldn't."

"okay," jaemin says after a brief moment of silence. "it's not too far, we can just walk."

"that's good."

"i always go here," jaemin continues happily. "their coffee is the best."

"heh, not much of a coffee drinker," jeno says sheepishly when jaemin pushes the door open and lets him walk out first. what a gentleman, he thinks. "er-what's your favourite?"

"straight dark as my soul," jaemin says with a completely straight face and jeno isn't sure if he should laugh or not. so, he settles on a small snort.

"there you are!" yuta says when they draw near. "i was waiting for you, nono. you were taking forever!"

"oh, i was just-" jeno starts but yangyang buts in.

"this jaemin guy-" yangyang gestures to the man beside jeno. "-asked him to go out for coffee and talking. he has a chance to shoot his shot and we're not ruining that by making it awkward."