Chapter 3

Spending your morning with the Metkayinan Tsahìk just proved that you knew more than the normal learner. Because you have spent so much time with your grandmother studying and obtaining information about rituals and healings that follow the Tsahìk's job, you were an advanced learner. Picking through herbs and ground up serum from buzzard wasps was not how you usually liked to use your time before noon, but working with Ronal was mandatory. She was amazing though, even if you were forced into a situation with her son. The way she spoke was full of passion and strength, mixing items together to create the perfect incantation for sickness astonished you. You felt comfortable knowing that at least the arrangements that the Metkayina Tsahìk is given is not far off from the Omaticaya ones.

You were distracted during the morning lesson though, remembering you would have to spend the afternoon with her son. He was anything but pleasant. He was a bully, prejudice, and just a rude guy. Of course he wouldn't always be this way if he wanted to be the Olo'eyktan, these qualities being considered childish by most. He'll grow out of it someday, but for right now he was in the thick of it. But even you could understand that you were in your own era of attitude, liking to bother the boy simply because you knew it would annoy him. It made you laugh to see him upset, and him with you vice versa. Maybe if he hadn't made fun of your features when he first saw you you wouldn't feel so abhorrent of him.

You blew your braids from your face, strands of hair awkwardly sticking to your face in the constant humidity of the beach. It was rarely this weather in the jungle, having constant shade instead of sunlight peering directly into your eyes. You hoped you would come to like this type of scenery, even if for now it bugged you. You held back your eyes from rolling once you saw Ao'nung sitting by the water, waiting to 'spend time with you'. These mandatory play dates were going to be the death of you. Your eyes then focused on the boy, slightly squinting to look further on his physical appearances.

As you came closer your eyes began to focus on the stripes on his celeste colored skin, you being able to compare the look of them to the swirls in the water. His eyes were shaded as he looked towards his hands, the sky blue irises that peered down over his four fingered hands, the wide finned wrist that were evolved for swimming better, his braided locks that were bound back with a tie, the water that dripped water from a loose hair down to his mouth, the speckle of water that sat perfectly on his lips-

"What are you looking at?" Ao'nung suddenly asked, you flinching slightly to his voice.

Instead of replying you scoffed at his words, walking closer to the boy. You then crashed down next to the boy around a foot away, trying to keep space. You slowly pulled your knees to your chest, relaxing your chin on top. Ao'nung looked over you as you did this, an exasperated sigh escaping his lips as he turned his gaze toward the huts on the island. You moved your sight to where he was focusing on, your eyebrows furrowing as you noticed Ao'nung's friends laughing at him as they stood on the bridge.

"Who are they laughing at? You or me?" You questioned, Ao'nung shrugging.

"You because you're you and me because I have to be around you." He answered, rolling his eyes as he looked at the water now. You turned your head toward's Ao'nung, squinting at him in confusion.

"Is there any bone in your body that doesn't want to try and hurt my feelings?"

"Is it working, tree swinger?" He asked, a blank look overcoming your face.

"Obviously not.. Your insults are dry, like sand." You say, your face still looking mad as you now focused your sight down onto the ground. As the water washed up it barely reached your toes, your feet dipping in the coolness.