Chapter 7: A Bird in A Gilded Cage

Tem

Time eyed the invitation card in his hand as if it was bad. He seemed sceptical and I couldn’t understand why. I was elated. Tae had extended an olive branch and invited us for a meal at his home, an address Time wasn’t aware of. I couldn’t care about the semantics. He was letting his guard down and finally taking a step toward us. How could I not be happy?

“Why did he send a card?” Time asked. “And when did he get a new house? I’d have known about it.”

I adjusted the sleeves of his satin shirt. “Can you stop being pessimistic for once?”

He shoved the card into the back of his jeans pocket. “I’m trying not to.”

“This is a good thing. We finally get the chance to convince him why being together is the best thing for the three of us.”

Nodding, Time leaned over and whispered in my ear. “You look handsome.”

I smiled.

“Oh no. Don't smile. You'll kill me. I stop breathing when you smile.”

My stomach flipped to my feet.

“Come.” He walked past me and took my hand dragging me with him. “Let’s go find out what Tae wants.”

It took about half an hour to the address Tae provided. Outside, the security detail called in for verification and they allowed us through. As Time drove up the slope, I couldn't help but take in the massive house, admiring the intricate details of the expansive garden and massive swimming pool in the front yard. Rays of lights danced delicately across the water, birthed from the evening sun that both limited my sight and made the view all the more beautiful.

“This…” Time started then stopped to take a breath. “I know this place. This is P’Payu’s home. I saw it listed in the magazine a few weeks ago. Top luxury houses in Thailand. Why would Tae ask us to come here?”

Suddenly I was overcome by the same restlessness that had a hold on Time since we received the invitation. Something was off. Time parked his car out front. There was no one around. As we walked up the stairs to the front door, we could see Tae standing behind the closed glass door. Time ran up the stairs and stood right in front of him. “Hi, baby?”

Tae craned up his neck to look between the two of us. It wasn't the colour of his eyes that were so breathtaking, it was what was inside them. It was like all the myriad shades of multiple colours swirled together to form a whirlpool of apprehension. I could tell by his body language that something wasn't right, and those flickering orbs confirmed my thoughts.

Raising his hand slowly, he touched the glass. Time raised his and placed his hand against Tae’s. Tae’s eyes searched his and became coated with a glossy layer of tears. As he blinked, they dripped from his eyes and slid down his cheeks.
For a few seconds, the air between them pulsed with electricity, a precarious force so powerful I forgot how to breathe.

Suddenly at the sound of something behind him, he stepped back, wiped his tears with swiftness and glanced away. When he turned, at last, to face us again there was no trace of tears, not in his eyes or in track marks on his face. Time tensed beside me.

I took my eyes away from Tae to the man who appeared behind him. Possessively, he snaked a hand around Tae’s waist and pulled his back to his chest. He was a few heads taller, with ruffled hair falling to his face, sunglasses hanging on his face and a cigarette perched between his lips. Beautiful intricate tattoos crept up his neck, peeping through his shirt collar and folded sleeves. His eyes were narrowed at Time, rigid, cold, and hard. I did not need to be told that this was Payu. He placed a finger under Tae’s chin and brought his lips down, kissing him. “Open the door for our guests, my love.”