Chapter 9: Tinged With Penitence

Tae

Ever since I was young, I have had this pretence of positivity in me. Oh, how sweet and personable he is, they would say. How smart. How polite. How positive. So lovely.  I did not understand the significance of their words at the time, nor did I realize they influenced my whole life. Because of this, I was forced to pretend to be outwardly optimistic as I grew up. I believed that if I believed it, I had the power to will it into existence. Even as Time began parading his indiscretions in my face, I knew I could do something to stop it.

But as my body, held close to Payu’s, swayed to the soft music the band was playing, I couldn’t help but think, ‘what happened to the dreamer of impossible dreams?’

Payu had made it his mission to parade me in front of his friends like his most prized possession. We were at an annual fundraising dinner held by one of his friends whose name I couldn’t bother to remember. It was the first time since taking me captive that we'd left the house and it was only because it was a necessity. He wanted to show me off to his circle for a few weeks before we announced our engagement. That didn't mean that I had any freedom, on the contrary, my every move was watched, and every conversation listened to thanks to the diamond necklace dangling on my neck.

I had tried and tried to find a way out under his thumb the last month but the more I tried, the more trapped I realized I was. My family was rich and so was Time’s, but Payu was wealthy and there was a big difference. We could only dream of what they were capable of in their cocoon of connectedness. Untouchable. The rest of us were just like Icarus but flying too close to the sun hoping not to get burnt.

I had no way out. Payu meticulously plotted, since the first time he saw me years ago, to ensure that I was trapped in his perfect gilded cage.

"Mhh, he dances," he murmured in my ear. “And I didn't have to use force.”

I examined his eyes. “You dragged me here; I didn't exactly have a choice."

His lips curved up in a small smirk. "You look stunning if it isn't obvious.”

I was in a dramatic two-tone burgundy suit jacket; the right side lighter while the left was dark, almost black. It was held together by a thick belt that made my waist extremely thin, paired with black pants and heeled boots. Other than the diamond necklace courtesy of P’Payu, a black chocker, matching my earrings, snugged my neck. He was the one who had made sure to handpick my outfit for the night. He had a great fashion sense, I had never looked so elegant before, but I hated him for making me his porcelain doll.

“You say that like I had a say in what should be in my new wardrobe.”

“I'm glad you agreed to come and are trying with the guests. And you were charming enough that everyone in this room wants you.”

“Is that what makes you happy? For people to want me and know they can never have me?”

He nodded. “If they didn’t want you, it would be a problem. What’s the point of living in this world if you don’t have anything that people covet.”

“I am not a doll.”

“No, you’re not. You’re my love and you’re beautiful. You’re worth being cherished and envied and coveted. I want to show you off to all eyes that can see and...” He leaned closer so that his lips touched my ear. "then I want to kiss every each of your body and fuck you until you forget who and where you are."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't... seriously."

“Okay. You're a good dancer.”

"Well," I responded. “I took dancing classes when I was younger.”