Chapter 4- mistakes were made

"Stairs! Stairs!" Doctor Owens shouted, pointing down the corridor.

The growls of the monsters echoed through the lab as you and Hopper ran after Doctor Owens trusting he knew a way out of this deathtrap of a building.

Owens opened the door to the staircase, and you all ran up the stairs, but once you reached the exit for the ground floor, Owens kept going up and Hopper followed him.

"Wait! Wait! Shouldn't we be going out this door?" You shouted above the emergency alarm that was blasting through the speakers.

"Joyce and the others are still upstairs. We have to get them." Hopper answered, glancing over his shoulder at you. "I know you probably don't trust me after everything that's happened, but please, Y/N, I need you with me."

You stared at Hopper for a few seconds, your heart beating out of your chest in panic as gunshots boomed through the building.

Fuck this.

Taking two steps at a time, you followed Hopper and Owens up the staircase until you reached the third floor and Owens quietly opened the door, peaking his head out into the corridor.

"It's clear. C'mon."

The two of you continued to follow him jogging through the building. Red emergency lights flashed from the roof, the alarm still blaring as people in lab coats and suits ran in all kinds of directions, not knowing what to do.

It didn't take long before Hopper pushed opened the door to a small room where a woman and man were leaning over an unconscious boy in a hospital bed with another young boy standing off to the side looking absolutely terrified.

You stared at the four of them in confusion as the woman pulled out some kind of syringe from the unconscious boy's arm. What the fuck?

"Did you just drug a kid?" You asked, your fear and panic from earlier vanishing as anger took over.

"He's my son. We had to." The woman who you assumed was Joyce Byers said. "Wait, who are you?"

"Y/N. I work with Hopper. Why did you have to drug your son?"

"The Mind Flayer is in him. He's using Will as a spy. If Will knows where we are, so does he." The other boy suddenly said.

"The fuck is a Mind Flayer?" You questioned.

Nobody had a chance to answer before all too familiar growls filled the air.

You spun around, looking down the corridor to find the double doors at the end of the hall were getting ripped apart by the monsters. Shit. How did they get here so quickly?

"We gotta go. We gotta go." Hopper said, glancing over at you before he rushed over to the gurney and picked up Will.

Doctor Owens led the way out the room, going in the opposite direction of the monsters that were trying to get through the double doors. People were screaming, gunshots raining down throughout the building and you wished more than anything that you had your duty belt and gun right now.

Dead bodies were scattered over the floor, everyone stepping over and weaving around them whilst following the doctor towards the exit.

In your rush to follow the others, you tripped over one of the bodies, but managed to break your fall as you landed on your hands and knees.

"Shit, get up." The boy, Mike, you thought his name was, suddenly said, grabbing your arm trying to help you to your feet before your eyes landed on the body that you had tripped over.

It was a security guard. A security guard who had a gun.

You picked up the handgun from the ground and grabbed the spare magazine from the dead guard's belt before hastily getting to your feet and glancing over at Mike who was staring at you with wide eyes.