Chapter 6- close the gate

Eventually, it was discovered that the Mind Flayer liked it cold or at least that's what Joyce kept saying. So, a plan was set in motion. Her, Jonathan and Nancy were going to take Will out to Hopper's cabin and heat up the place to try and burn the Mind Flayer out of Will.

"It's channel ten. You let me know when that thing is out of him." Hopper ordered, laying Will's unconscious body in the backseat of the Byers car.

"I will." Jonathan nodded before he climbed into the car with his mother and Nancy.

"Is this really going to work?" You asked, walking down the porch steps towards Hopper.

He shrugged his shoulders opening his car door and grabbing a packet of cigarettes out.

"I honestly don't know." He admitted, sticking a cigarette in his mouth before lighting it and taking in a deep drag. "I hope it does. I really hope it does."

You leant against the hood of his Chevy, watching the Byers car disappear in the distance before Hopper walked over and held his cigarette out. You took it with a small appreciative nod taking a drag and exhaling the smoke with a sigh.

Neither of you said anything for a minutes as you leant against the Chevy passing the cigarette.

"I found El alone in the woods after everyone thought she died." Hopper suddenly started to say, startling you a little, not expecting him to start talking. "I took her in and didn't tell anyone. The more people know about her, the more danger she and everyone else is in. I was trying to protect her."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me. You make a good dad to her."

He let out a small huff as he looked down at the ground, but you could see the corners of his mouth twitch up into a slight smile as he shook his head.

The two of you fell into comfortable silence once again, passing the cigarette back and forth. You looked up at the blanket of stars that stretch for infinity in the dark sky above. The crescent moon shone brightly, lighting up the ground around you.

The kids had migrated outside, talking quietly amongst themselves while Steve stood off to the side, his baseball bat still in his hand as he scanned the woods around the house cautiously.

"Listen, I need you to stay here with them while El and I-" Hopper started to say, breaking the silence, but you didn't let him finish.

"Whoa, whoa, you think you're going back to that lab without backup?"

"You're not coming. You're hurt and... shit." He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Look, I'm not risking it. You're staying here."

Did he seriously think he could tell you what to do? After everything that just happened, he thought he could do that? No. Not happening.

"I'm hurt but I'm not useless. I can still shoot a gun and if I remember correctly, which I believe I do, there were a lot of Demo-dogs in that lab. You need my help."

"That is the exact reason I don't want you coming. I can't risk losing you. So, you are staying here, okay? It's for the best."

"I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong." You responded, folding your arms across your chest.

"Y/N-"

"I'm going."

Hopper sighed, staring at you for a moment, contemplating his options before realising that he wasn't going to win this argument and reluctantly nodded. He didn't seem happy about it, but that was his problem. He needed the backup, and you weren't going to stay behind.

"El. Come on, let's go. It's time." Hopper called out, turning away from you to look over at the young girl who was busy talking with Mike. "Harrington, you're in charge. Nobody leaves this house, got it?"