two

MAGUI was awaken by the pilot's arrival message. she was finally back in portugal, her home. although living in new york city certainly benefited her occupation, she admittedly thinks that if she could've started a successful writing career in portugal, she would have stayed.

           stepping out of the plane, magui breathed in the fresh portuguese air, ecstatic to finally be back home. after finishing the draining international arrival process, magui felt a sense of relief. she could finally see emma.

there she was. holding two black paper bags. knowing emma, she probably went shopping before coming to the airport. magui smiled, happy to see her best friend again in portugal for the first time in forever.

the pair embraced in a hug, smiling throughout.

" i've missed you so much." emma said, arms remaining at her best friend's waist.

magui smiled, ever so slightly tightening the hug. "i've missed you more." magui remarked.

magui and emma broke the hug smiling at each other in disbelief, just happy to be in each other's presence again.

"so, what's in the bags?" magui asked, pointing to the two black bags and subconsciously knowing her answer.

"i did a little shopping. y'know as it's new year's eve. i picked us both up some fits for this party i got invited to." emma answered.

          magui, the complete opposite of a party girl, shook her head in fear.

"relax, it's our childhood friends from school. you know them." emma reassured her.

magui smiled, then fear crept to her side. she though of joão, her infamous ex-best friend who she tried to avoid at all costs.

tried.
          "will joão and my evil name twin be there?" magui reluctantly asked.

the dreadful three letter word escaped her best friend's mouth. "yes"

"i know. i know. everyone knows about your complicated relationship with joão. but i thought you two reconciled by now."

magui let out a sigh and huffed, "well we didn't."

"how did you two become so complicated anyway?"
—•
TWO YEARS AGO. magui and joão were catching up through the phone. talking about their recent achievements and cracking up silly little inside jokes. then, joão informs magui of his new girlfriend, who coincidentally has the same name as her.

magui was stunned by the unexpected news. she would never admit it out loud, but a part of her always thought that one day, joão would finally ask her out on a date.
that wasn't going to happen anytime soon, with the barrier of her "evil name twin," which emma first referred her to.
magui and joão tried to remain best friends. however, one day joão suddenly stopped keeping touch. magui, seeing as it is out of character for joão to do so, texted him first, which she never had to do before.

magui:
joão why are you ignoring me?

joão:
i'm sorry magui. i can't be friends with you anymore.

magui:
why?
joão:
my girlfriend told me to stop talking to you.
i'm sorry.
Read 11:00 pm

         magui distinctly remembers crying herself to sleep that night. her childhood dreams of finally marrying or at least dating joão gone in a second.

—•
HANNAH SPEAKS!
ahh i love writing this book😭😭