seven

BEFORE joão paid for his copy of magui's newest novel, he took multiple copies and placed it in the "as seen on tiktok" section. he was hoping to attract more readers in doing so. magui smiled at this action. it reminded her of the sweet gestures he would do back then.
as the pair walked to the counter to pay, joão was already reading the synopsis of magui's novel. founding the plot to be rather familiar, seeing as it features the classic friends to lovers trope, he jokingly remarked that the novel reminded him of the two of them. magui, suprised as he was correct, let out a awkward laugh.

           after joão finished paying, the pair exited the bookstore and went on to continue their eventful day. the pair made their way to multiple tourist attractions, such as the belém tower and the national azulejo museum. they even took a multitude of photos of each other while sight seeing.

as both of their feet were tired from waking back and forth to the beautiful scenery, magui and joão decided to shop before eating lunch. the two stopped at two thrift consignment stores. at the first, magui bought two grandpa sweaters, a black floral midi skirt, and yet another long dress. joão, on the other hand, bought nothing as he simply enjoyed her excitement.
at the second thrift shop, magui found three novels, two by john green and the other by sylvia plath. in addition, she even found an original fearless cd.

"what do you even need that for? don't you already have spotify?" joão disapprovingly stated.

"as a taylor swift fan, i have to grow my collection. also, i want to experience hearing "you belong with me" on my cd player. i'm convinced it will improve my writing."

"i remember that song. wasn't it your favourite?"

"i'm suprised you even remember."

"why wouldn't i?"

"because you have girlfriend, who you're clearly head over heels for."

"soon to be ex-girlfriend you mean." joão corrected her.

magui thought nothing of joão's statement as he made similar jokes in the past. she brushed it off and quickly payed for her items.

the drive to the restaurant was rather awkward due to the previous events. magui and joão said nothing to each other the whole time. they were just peacefully listening to joão's playlist and looking at portugal's beautiful pastel-coloured buildings. although the drive was quiet, it was admittedly calming and enlightening. it allowed both of them to decide what they were going to do with the return of their childhood feelings.

        the dinner was quiet at first, the two of them not having much to say except how good the food was or how pretty the restaurant was. that was until, magui finally broke the silence.

"i had so much fun today. thought you should know."

"i did too. i'm glad i called you. before you return to new york, i want to do this again."

"that's a good idea. just in case emma wants do something, i'll see if i can. but, can i ask you a question?"

"shoot."

"why did you call me to hang out? can't magui do all the things we did today with you? why me?"

"because you're my favourite person to hang out with. and because magui and i aren't on speaking terms right now." joão stated, making sure to say the second commment rather quietly.

"why aren't you guys on speaking terms?"

"because she doesn't want me to be friends with you. so, she's probably cheating on me with another footballer at the moment." joão joked.

as magui had a mouthful of pasta in her mouth as he mentioned that, she choked. "what makes you say that?"

"it's a continuous pattern. i'm tired. but she's all i have, unfortunately."

"that's not true. you have me. she doesn't deserve you. as your best friend, i think the best thing you could do for yourself right now is finally break up with her."

joão was pleasantly surprised with magui's word of advice. all joão wanted to do was kiss her at that moment, but he was still taken. so, he let his intrusive thoughts win and decided to tell her everything.

"magui. i'm breaking up with my girlfriend solely for you. i'm in love with you."

—•
HANNAH SPEAKS!
sorry for not updating in a while😭 studied the whole week last week and i'm drained🙁 but it's okay because i have a 90+ final average in all my classes except for calc !!