38 ¦ F-r-i-e-n-d-s

"Hahahaha... Mira don't look at me like that! I was kidding." I rolled my eyes and looked to the side. On one hand I was embarrassed that Jay had realized that what he had said had shocked me, on the other hand I was mad at myself for falling for something like that. 

"Of course we're friends, right?" He grinned broadly at me. 

I nodded and said, "Sure. We're friends." A smile crept onto my face and ended in a wide grin.

Mark said, "Oh well, too bad. You guys would make a good couple. You guys totally fit together." 

Jay laughed, "All that's missing is me marrying such a idiot." 

I countered, "And me such a machp man." 

Jay countered, "Better macho than idiot, Zaila." 

"Don't call me that, turtle-boy!" I hissed. 

All of a sudden, Mark started laughing joyfully and exclaimed, "Oooh.... You guys definitely match! My mom and dad are the same way. They always say that what teases, loves." He tousled his black hair and his gray eyes shone happily. The little boy must really love his parents. 

We were now standing in front of the information desk and lo and behold, a black-haired woman with equally gray eyes ran up to us, a man behind her. She hugged Mark and sobbed, "I was so worried! We thought all along that someone strange had taken you! I'm so glad you're okay. This is all dad's fault. He should have taken better care of you!"

Shaking his head, the man replied, "Danielle, you know that when I'm on a business call, I'm absent. You shouldn't have just walked away!" 

The woman straightened up and hissed, "What was that? You can make your own dinner tonight, Mingi! Have fun handling kitchen appliances, idiot." 

Mark interrupted his parents' semi-serious discussion by tugging on his mum's skirt and saying, "We should thank our friends here. They brought me back to you." The parents smiled at us and thanked us sincerely. 

As we walked away, Mingi gave Mark and Danielle a kiss on the forehead and said, "I love you both with all my heart." My heart contracted, with empathy, and I automatically thought of my dad. What a sweet family. His parents really fit together, despite their arguments. 

Apparently I stared at the three of them too long, because Jay grabbed my arm and said, "Come on, you lame duck. At your pace and obsessive helper syndrome, we won't be out of here in 80 years. Well, I could care less, but your life is on the line here." He laughed briefly.

I freed my arm from his grip and replied, "It's okay, slave driver." We got the rest of the things and paid. On the way back, we had to cross a bridge that connected the village with the road to the huts in the mountains. Just as we were on this one, Jay cursed.

"Damn that jerk!" 

With a question mark on my face, I turned to him and asked, "What's wrong?"