Chapter 11

Third person POV

The black car sped through the streets of Milan, evading the cars that were slowly gaining upon it. Bullets were flying and people were scattering away from the chaos.

Serena was almost sure she could get away but a buzz from her phone distracted her. She read the text and she knew. She knew that she wasn't getting out of this.

1 hour before the attack

The woman stood at the balcony of the small cafe, enjoying the peaceful scenery. Her long hair fluttered in the light breeze and she closed her eyes taking in the warmth of the afternoon sun. Serena looked ahead of her and noticed the calm water of Lake Como glinting in the sun, turning the colour into a unique shade of blue.

The soft chatter around her in the open cafe, the people truly living their lives, smiling with their loved ones made her smile too. She placed her hands on the white ceramic railing and gazed at the view a little longer. Serena realized that she liked the warmth of Italy better than the bitter cold back in London. Perhaps she enjoyed it a little too much because for a moment, she never wanted to leave. She didn't want to go back home. Or whatever that place had become now.

Alas, she knew her visit was a short one, as she was set to return tomorrow. When she came to know that the conference regarding her new launch in Europe was to be held in Italy, she could have changed it. But she didn't. Serena wanted to visit, something was always pulling her to this place. She thought maybe it was Luca.

Serena smiled at the thought of her little brother. He doesn't forget to call her every night before bed to tell her everything that happened. She only had one more day in Italy, so she wanted to ask him to meet her somewhere before she went back. Luca wouldn't even hesitate and would run out of the house to see her, even it was for a second. He was already starting to hate only being able to see her through a screen. It wasn't the same. He couldn't hug her or feel the loving warmth she always had for him. And he hated it.

Serena took out her phone, already dialing Luca's number, excited to plan their little meet up. But before she could press call, there was an incoming call.

Aden.

She accepted the call with furrowed eyebrows but her smile was intact. "Hello?"

"Serena." His serious tone immediately alerted her and she had a bad feeling in her gut. "We have a problem."

"What happened?" Her phone buzzed with another incoming call but she didn't take heed to that and payed attention to Aden.

"As you asked, we had men shadowing Luca and Dante. The man assigned to Dante reported back right now. They were attacked. Angelo and Dante were leaving his hopital while 4 cars started following them. Their guards are already taken out. Both of them are defenseless now." Halfway through Aden's explanation, Serena had already walked out the cafe with her belongings towards her car. "One more thing. They are using some kind of jammer to cut of the signal so that Angelo won't call for backup. Even the man trailing them had to stay back out of their radius to inform me. What do you want me to do?"

"Send me their last location and make sure there is backup on standby." She commanded in her cold voice, furious that someone had the nerve to attack her little brother. Well, Dante or Angelo might not have been aware of her being alive but that didn't stop her. No one was hurting them. Not when she was fucking alive.

She concluded that she was suddenly protective over them because Luca had come to love the Espositos. They were important to Luca and he would be sad if something happened to them. That was the only reason why she felt like she wanted to rip apart the people who dared to attack the two brothers.