Chapter 13: So Nice to be... Home

The monitor began to beep, cutting through the tension in the room. Everyone looked over to see a transmission from Agent Fowler coming in. Optimus sighed in exasperation. Of all the times he had to deal with Fowler, this just had to be one of them.

"Prime!" Fowler yelled, "I need to know what we're dealing with!"

"To what do you refer, Agent Fowler?" Optimus asked monotonously.

The man scoffed in disbelief, before realizing that the Autobots actually had no idea what he was talking about. "Maybe you should step outside. See for yourselves."

"Ratchet," Optimus looked at his friend, "watch the children."

Ratchet sent Miko a warning glare and then promptly ignored his orders.

As the other Autobots and Firefly stepped outside, a green helicopter flew down and landed next to them. Soon enough, Fowler climbed out and walked up to them.

But they weren't focused on them. Instead, their gaze was on the giant cybertronian fortress standing proudly on Earth's soil.

"Megatron has completed the first phase of his Cyberforming of Earth." Optimus realized, "The construction of his fortress."

"In Jasper, Nevada? I don't get it, I've already had the town evacuated. Why here?" Fowler asked.

Firefly scowled, "Because Megatron knows our base is here."

Bumblebee suddenly stiffed and pointed into the distance, "Look!"

The Nemesis was coming.

Shortly after they'd spotted it, the ship began to fire. Firefly grunted and raised her sword, reducing the attack to globs of energon falling uselessly to the ground. Beside her, the Autobots began to return fire.

Since their blasters were clearly inoperable, a horde of Insecticons rose up from the deck and flew toward the Autobot base. Despite firing at them, most of the Insecticons reached the base, and the Autobots began to attack them close up.

But they were extremely outnumbered.

"Autobots, into the base!" Optimus ordered.

Everyone, except for Fowler, ran for the elevator.

"Fowler, what are you doing?" Bulkhead demanded.

Fowler's little flying machine rose into the air with him inside, "My job, son."

"Is he crazy?" Firefly hissed.

Ignoring her remark, Optimus raised the Star Sabre and let it blast outwards, throwing Insecticons back. He turned around and grabbed Firefly before jumping down into the base.

"I told you to get back inside." He glared.

"You said, 'Autobots'."

Optimus set her down near Ratchet, "Whether you like it or not, Firefly, you are an Autobot now."

"Okay, then, but what about Agent Fowler?" Firefly asked, "Are just going to leave him out there with the entire Decepticon fleet?"

"I have no authority over Agrnt Fowler." Optimus told her, "And thus, we should have faith that he has a plan."

"What is going on up there?" Ratchet asked, looking vexed. It was to be expected. He has been out of the loop on all of their bad news today.

"The Decepticons have discovered the location of our base and layed siege upon it." Optimus explained, "And they also constructed a new base in Jasper."

"Fowler thinks he can hold them off." Bulkhead added.

Firefly crossed her arms, "It's probably the last we will ever see of him."