Part Nineteen

I don't remember much of the funeral, only that we all wore dark-red...the color of mourning and death, the color of flames, of embers, of all phases of flame. I remember the cold, scolding shout of the temple bell. Slow drumbeats and sharp horn calls. Tears crusting the eyes of tight-lipped guards and nobles. I remember the elephants that pulled the dark-wood cart that carried their crimson urns. I remember the guards' whips, until Mamma yelled not to hit them. She was crying even harder. She hates it when they get hit. I remember the way the slick dark blankets draped over their backs. Sweeties! I swear I saw a tear roll down one's wrinkled cheek. I would have loved to see them, any other time. KA-BLOM! The hard, jagged explosions of cannons, and how the elephants wailed in loud, high-pitched sounds. The grunts. The hooves, the hooves...the clattering, the pulsing, like a million hearts that were still beating, ba-bum, ba-bum, while my beloved Gapa and Paga's were not.

--diary of young Princess Bathilde, recounting the funeral of grandparents King Octavius and Queen Ankaret

  Amathzuli Tower

Splendora, the Giant Kingdom

October 1959 (in human months-- Gwitch 2100 to the giants)

"Kri so-ta fren gyri," the girl quavered, "That's the Autumn dialect of Saphoise, correct?"

Her tutor nodded. The giant Princess' command of the fairy language would serve her well, if she was anything like the Queen.

"Correct, Hildy," the old man said, "But fairies like a strong, certain voice. You sounded a bit nervous."

"Sorry. I feel like my skin's made of rabbits."

"Don't worry; we've all been there. Now, what did I tell you about fairy naming traditions?"

Hildy wrinkled her flat nose.

"Girl fairy names end in 'krit', which means 'flutter' and boy fairy names end in 'kog' meaning 'soar'."

"Very good!"

The Princess blushed as he went on:

"You know what, Hildy, you're among my smartest pupils."

"But what about the Queen? You taught her, didn't you, Lord Polona?"

Lord Polona hesitated, taken aback by Hildy's cold reference to her mother. Even after several years, most young giants called their mothers Mamma, though the Mother Goddess was the only being worthy of the title.

"I-Indeed I did. She was quite skilled at music and writing."

"She still is. Did you know she wrote 'The Devil's Fugue'?"

Lord Polona shuddered.

"Oh! Yes! Well!" He bit his lip. "She was nervous, too. Learning a new thing can be as terrifying as visiting a new place, Hildy. But she caught on quickly."

"Are the rumors true?"

"What rumors?"

Hildy shuffled through her papers.

"Well, she might be the reincarnation of the priestess Leaping Jaguar."

"That's difficult to prove. I've asked her and some Oracles if they'd like to salt-test her skin against what we have of Leaping Jaguar's skin-- which was flayed for a ritual. However, both she and the Oracles refused. She said it would make no difference, as she already has the King's proof of power." He tapped her hand. "Something's bothering you, and it's not an ancient priestess with rotten, blood-crusted skin."