Part Twenty-One

(If I have already posted this part, please let me know. I am in the process of rewriting/making this book less chronological-- I even get confused at times.)

The way the cold rivers clot upon the country's cracked face is enough to make me an expatriate. The face I didn't see shall forever bounce through my brain like a rusted carousel horse.

-- "The Traitor" by Penelope Oltu

**soon after Candy's murder**

The Queen sat rocking Linden in her ivory-carved chair. The movement soothed her almost as much as her son; while he fell asleep, her heartbeats slowed into a sleepy rhythm. Her breath deepened, and her eyes closed. I knew motherhood was exhausting, she thought, But with a baby, when they're so little like this...it's relaxing.

Ka-chok! The door swung open, and Calliope stormed in. As soon as she heard her hard, angry footsteps, the Queen's eyes opened. Thank God Linden's sleeping through this!

"Cousin," Calliope spat, not bothering with formality, "We have a situation."

"And how does this said situation involve me? You recall I have allotted time to spend with my son."

"But this is urgent! Your maids are dead!"

"Both of them?" the Queen asked, raising an eyebrow, "Nonsense! I spoke with Cookie this morning."

"Really?" Calliope asked, heart pounding, "Wh-What did she say?"

"She told me she thinks she had a concussion last night, and asked to be given light duties."

"Well, she is a bit clumsy."

"Not that clumsy. Tell me, Calliope, why are you so invested in the whereabouts of my maids?"

"I am your servant, am I not?"

"You are more than a servant to me. You are family."

"But...!"

The Queen lifted a hand, and Calliope shut her mouth.

"I have no idea what you're getting at, but regarding my maids...I have not seen Candy all morning. You say she is dead? Who told you this?"

"It...would be wrong of me to say."

"Really? In a situation as serious as this?"

Before Calliope could respond, Baby Linden yawned and stretched his chubby pink arms, the fists balled into tiny knots.

"I shall send a Guard to inspect the Servants' Quarters," the Queen pronounced, rising with her baby, "It's inappropriate to continue such a discussion in the presence of my precious child."

"I understand. Thank you, Your Majesty."

"Wait." The Queen lifted her hand again. "Where is Hatcher? I haven't seen him in quite a while."

"He hasn't seen your son?"

"No."