14

ZOMG A DOUBLE UPDATE

"Can you...grab that for me."

You came out through the reeds, holding the basket that Airy had taken with him. You weren't sure why you agreed to this. But being stuck in the shed and around the camp while you were recovering from your illness had left you bored, and you figured you were well enough to come with him anyways.

You winced as the slimy, brackish water rushed past your moving form. Biting back any complaints you had, you thrust the basket into Airy's waiting arms.

"Tha– Thank you for...helping me. By the way." Airy said, staring down at the basket to analyze how much you had collected.

"Yeah, sure, whatever." You said through gritted teeth, ignoring as the wet sand beneath you squelched grossly underfoot.

Airy looked at your expression, then looked around, then back at you quizzically.

"How do you stand this?" You finally blurted out. "This water is so— It's..."

"Gross." Airy finished for you. "I don't really...notice. It. The water."

"Don't your paws get dirty from it?"

"I can just wash them off later." He shrugged, staring blankly into the muddy water beneath the two of you. "It's no big deal."

It is kind of a big deal... You opted not to say this out loud. It was a useless thing to argue about. Infections, those were a big deal, not that Airy seemed to care.

Speaking of which, you broke out of your thoughts to see that the lantern was already a few yards away, walking back without you. "Wh– Hey! Do-Don't leave me behind!!" You scrambled after him, your legs suctioning awkwardly to the mud and leaving you with an awkward, struggling gait. Airy looked back as if he heard you, but continued to move ahead of you, unimpeded by the mud.

With a yelp, you tripped and fell into the water, splashing around awkwardly as you attempted to regain your footing on the slippery, marshy earth. That got Airy's attention. He set the basket down on the shore, turning and striding back over to you.

"Airy..." You said through gritted teeth. Your face was covered in mud and water. A slight twitch of his mouth betrayed his amusement.

"You tripped." He said.

"No sh–"

"It's okay." Airy knelt down next to you, grabbing your arms to hoist you up. "I made the same mistake, the first few times I...came up here."

You spat out a glob of mud that had gotten into your mouth, before spitefully giving Airy a tug and pulling him towards you. The lantern's eye widened slightly as he stumbled with a splash that soaked you both.

"There. Now we're both wet." You smiled wryly.

Airy didn't reply, shakily standing up and emptying the water out of his head. "That was...uncalled for."

"Leaving me behind was also uncalled for." You replied pointedly. "Now we're even."

Airy stared down at his body, now caked with mud. Then he stared at you, also caked with mud, and considerably worse off. He blinked slowly, a strained expression on his face.

Your cheeks flushed as you realized what he was doing. "H-Hey! This isn't funny!" You flicked more water at his face.

Airy squinted and stepped back, covering his mouth with a hand. "It's a little bit funny." He managed. You just splashed him again. All he did in response was stand there, letting the water wash some of the mud away. "What was that for?"