Don't Get Greedy

_____

A/N:
i changed tristyns name to cole :)

_____

The fire roars, firewood crackling beneath it. My hands reach out to the fire to keep warm. Judging by the sky it is still early in the morning, I have some time before I have to move out. I swing my backpack off my shoulders and place it in front of me. Rummaging through the contents I find my favorite meal. Pickles.

Sure, It isn't the best food out there but it's as good as you're gonna get. 3 years have passed so it's either pickles, canned- or rotten food. The best thing I found by far though, has to be wraps. You know the kind, the kind you wrap around your burritos? It may be bland but it keeps you full for the whole day.

My stomach rumbles. God, all this food talk isn't good for me.

The pickle tastes like a tablespoon of salt. Turning the jar around, I read the label, Sweet and sour my ass. There's no hint of sweetness at all. "Food is Food." I say to no one in particular. The habit of talking to myself formed after years of isolation. It keeps me sane.

After the initial outbreak, I rushed home like planned, only to see my mother and father abandoned me. My sister on the other hand... my parents locked her in the bathroom. They left nothing but a note. My sister had bitten my dad so I assumed they rushed to the hospital. It felt wrong to leave her like that so I...

I didn't have a choice.

Her bashed-in skull, the smell of her blood, her rotting flesh. It is a permanent image in my mind. Even after years have passed it replays in my head like a song on loop. "There goes my appetite." my hands wrap around the lid of the jar, squeezing it shut and placing it in my backpack.

Let's see... There is that house up north that I haven't explored yet. I stand up and swing my bag around my shoulders. My boots stomped the fire out, leaving nothing but black and white ash. I hold the map out in front of me, scanning the possible road I could take. Folding the map, and placing it back into the backpack's side pocket.

By now, It's around noon and I finally reach the house. Climbing through the broken window, I make sure not to scrape myself on the glass shards. With my meat cleaver in hand, I cautiously make my way through the empty home. It is almost completely stripped of furniture. My hope of finding supplies dwindles when I see the state of the home. Someone has been in here. The kitchen is a mess all the cabinets are open, chairs are all over the place. Someone looted it.

Covering my nose with my sleeve I step over a rotting corpse and make my way up the stairs. All the walkers in the house are already dead. Their heads are very close to being decapitated. I keep my back to the railing as I walk toward the room at the end of the hall. There was a slight banging in the distance, but I didn't pay it any mind. It's most likely a walker that got trapped so it won't cause any trouble. Stopping right in front of the door and slowly opening it. The door creaks open revealing a room with one window, a bed, a desk, and finally a closet. But one thing caught my eye in particular, on the wall right against the bed, there was a machete. I could tell that the room was a teenager's room before the outbreak, judging by the millions of posters on the wall. The kid must've used the machete as decoration. Even so, this is an awesome score in my book. My hands wrap around the handle of the blade, lifting it from the mount.

It was in peak condition not to mention it was sharp. I playfully swing the weapon around, imagining fighting walkers. "Best find yet!" Replacing the machete with the meat cleaver, I stick the second weapon in my waistband. "Welcome to the family." My eyes travel up and down the machete.

a loud crash comes from the room next to the one I'm in. The banging in the distance stopped. "Fuck." The growling of the walker got closer and I realized it wasn't one, it was PLENTY. Footsteps of the dead stop right outside of the door. Quickly, I grab a hold of the desk and push it against the door. The wood of the door heaves as the walkers bang against it. This ruckus will for sure bring more of them.

My feet move to the only exit available, the window. Luckily for me, the window leads to a second roof. I hoist myself through the window onto the roof and I shut it behind me. Looking back into the room, relief washes over me and a sigh escape my lips. "I shouldn't let my guard down like that..." my boots scrape against the roof as I walk to the edge of the structure.

In the distance, smoke reaches high into the sky. The smoke emerging from below the trees created a thick fog no one could see through. Taking a sip of water, my eyes examined the smoke. It could be a camp, who knows?

One thing I do know is, only humans can create flames. Which means they could have useful supplies or food. My backpack drops to my feet and I take out some ripped sheets I tied to make a rope. Tying the rope to the window handle, I make my way off the roof.

I hate to admit it but every time I spot survivors a part of me wishes they are Cole. Even though deep down I know he's most likely dead. I gave up on finding him.

As the saying goes "Don't get your hopes up." I stand by that.

Heavy clouds darken the sky, signaling that rain will come soon. "I have to find that camp quickly before the fire goes out." I make a mental note to speedwalk to my destination.

Reaching black steel gates with wooden barakades behind them, along with what I assume to be the lookouts. People stand on wooden platforms, armed with guns. I duck behind a nearby tree and scan the area, looking for any possible way to get inside.

Groups in the apocalypse are a big no-no. You can't trust anyone. I prefer being alone anyways. Fewer mouths to feed, not to mention it's less risky. I did have one companion, Meowsie. Stupid, I know. But it's not like cats can slit your throat in your sleep.

Meowsie was a big black blob. I found her in an abandoned home. The owners passed away leaving her locked in the home. I gave her more food than I gave myself. What can I say, I love cats.

I woke up one morning to find her not far away from my camp, being eaten by one of those 'things'. That was the last straw. I decided that day that I won't get another companion. Everyone dies.

Back to the base I found, I managed to get through the walls. There was an unguarded gate at the back entrance. It shouldn't be this easy to get inside. How did they survive so long? The base is built into a high school. Pretty neat if you ask me. They use the football fields to farm. Hiding behind a car, I notice all the folks moving inside the building. I wait for all of them to go inside before I sneak to a window. Looking inside, there is a dark room with a few boxes. Must be their storage room.

I try to pry open the window only to see that it was locked from the other side. Fuck, so they are smart. Having no other option, I wrap my fist in fabric and smash the glass. I quickly jump through the window and throw my backpack onto the ground. I have to do this fast and leave. I know for a fact they heard the glass shattering. Rummaging through the box's contents, I find canned food and pickled food. In the corner of the room, there were bottles of water covered in plastic. I used my machete to slice it open and grab as many bottles as I can, stuffing them into my bag.

Suddenly, I felt something digging into my back. Followed by the sound of a -

Click.