Ash

His ginger hair bounces up and down as we run through the school. He takes us outside to the courtyard where there was a big crowd of people huddled around something.

Pushing through the crowd, I reach the center. Where August had a knife to his throat. "Let go of me. You cunt!" He yells out. The man above him looks very similar to him. He had the same black hair, body build, and the same age.

"Jesus, not this again." I hear a familiar voice from beside me. My head turns and I see Valentina. She pinches the bridge of her nose and a sigh escapes her lips. I look back at the two men in front of me screaming at each other. "I will slit your throat right here." The one on top hisses and a smile creeps onto his face.

"Stop behaving like children." Someone from across the fight whispered. "Sky, don't even bother," Valentina stated. He looks at her with worried eyes. "But-" she cuts him off "They will stop... eventually." I let out a groan as I walk out of the crowd.

Looking around, I find it. I quickly grab the rope and walk back to my original spot in the crowd. Leaning over, I whisper to Val. "When I give you the signal, grab august." She gives me a 'wtf are you planning' look but nods her head.

The soles of my boots crunch the dirt as I walk behind the guy on top of August. My hands pull the rope I picked up, making sure I had a good grip on it.

In a split second, the rope is around his neck. I stomp my foot in the middle of his back and yank the rope. "JESUS-" He screams while being dragged onto his knees. I pull the rope tighter and nod at Valentina. She grabs a hold of August to keep him away from Ash.

Ash turns his head to look back at me, his golden eyes glaring into mine. "I'll fucking kill you!" His hands wrap around the rope. August on the other side, wipes the blood off his lip with his thumb as he glares at Ash.

"C'mon, big boy." I whisper under my breath. His body slumps down and he falls to the ground, unconscious. Letting go of the rope, I breathe out. "Well, at least they stopped," Valentina adds while letting go of August.

The man known as 'Sky' rushes forward to August. "Are you okay?" Sky stammered. August lights a cigarette "That prick." He grunted.

Valentina walks over to me and looks down at unconscious Ash. The crowd has dispersed. "You didn't kill him did you?" I look down and shrug. "He's still breathing." August starts walking away, cigarette in mouth. "What's the deal with them anyway?" I ask.

Valentina glanced at August. "They are brothers. I think the death of their sister made the hate start. They blame each other for it probably." She explains.

"When did she die?" I inquire. "Just before you got here." Val answers and signals Vincent to come.

. . .

After a few hours of being here, I learned some things. Number one: There is a council of some kind. Instead of a leader like most groups they have a group of people they call the council.

Number two: They have 2 scavenger groups. Valentina and August rule over them. Well.... August is suspended as of now. The council ordered me to stay with his group.

And number three: Each scavenger group has a classroom of their own. These are called the Barracks.

Oh, remember the times when girls and boys slept in separate rooms? Yeah, that's in the past. We all sleep in the same room.

So here I am, bag in hand in front of the barracks. The council decided me and Val should be separated since we "teamed up" against Ash. What a load of bullshit. A groan escapes my lips as my hand reaches out to the doorknob.