Chapter 4 - Slytherin vs Ravenclaw

Classes resumed and during the next few weeks of January, the castle and grounds were surrounded in cold dreary mist. The pressure of homework came back in full force, as was the battle for the Quidditch Cup. But all Blaise could think about was Luna Lovegood, sitting in the Forbidden Forest, surrounded by Thestrals, looking as serene and majestic as some sort of forest nymph. And as if having that image seared into his mind wasn't bad enough, he now saw her everywhere.

He saw her as she made her way to Potions. Saw her in the library, often nestled into a window seat reading or studying her OWLS with Ginny Weasley. Sometimes he saw her coming down from Divinations as he walked to Defence Against the Dark Arts. And to his greatest chagrin, he caught himself looking for her during mealtimes in the Great Hall. More than once he found she sometimes skipped meals, most often lunch. And that made him feel things he couldn't nor wanted to understand.

At least in his own state of confusion he could evade the questions that both Parkinson and Nott were asking him. Parkinson had always been dreadfully nosy and had somehow taken on a watch dog role for the Slytherin boys in her year, annoying both him and Nott endlessly. Although she tended to forget Crabbe and Goyle, Malfoy seemed to be the only one able to successfully give her the slip. Which was surprising, because he and Parkinson had begun to date more seriously this year, if trips to dark corners or empty classrooms were any indication. And yet, Blaise had noticed Malfoy often leaving for long periods of time. He would much rather have Parkinson put all her efforts into her slithering boyfriend then firing questions at him.

Nott was subtler about it than Parkinson. But he too had noticed Blaise's sudden absence the day of their arrival and his lack of attention afterwards. The fact that his classmates saw that there was something bothering him was an insult enough. His impassiveness had never failed him before, but somehow was cracking. He swore he had felt it crack when he saw her that day, slipping in and out of the kitchens, before heading outside. Something had made him start to follow her, before he even realised he was doing it. By the time his mind had caught up, he was somewhere in the Forbidden Forest, and then he couldn't just turn back. What if something bad happened? What if she needed his help? And so he had continued on, stumbling into a scene that kept replaying in his mind, over and over again until he saw sure he would go mad.

And so Blaise turned to the activity that could rid his mind of all thoughts. Flying. Quidditch practices had been intense this year and he had been incredibly grateful for it, especially now. Another bonus was that the Quidditch pitch seemed to be the only part of Hogwarts that Luna Lovegood didn't attend. With that knowledge, he now found himself heading to the pitch whenever he could, practically living in his Quidditch uniform. Slytherin Captain Urquhart was especially pleased by this appearance of dedication, since the championship was tough indeed. They had lost against Gryffindor and their next match against Ravenclaw was planned the second weekend of February. They would need a good margin in points to cancel out the loss and take over the lead from Ravenclaw, who had won their match against Hufflepuff. The inter-house feelings of rivalry were good to keep in his mind whenever he saw... her.

Slughorn meanwhile hadn't yet resumed his dinners, which Blaise was happy about. It had plagued him more than once that perhaps she had made an impression on Slughorn since the Christmas Party and would now be a regular invite. He wasn't sure he could handle that. It troubled him that he had genuinely enjoying talking to her in the forest. It scared him shitless how much he had shared. Feelings and experiences he had not shared with anyone. Had never wanted to share with anyone and now couldn't take back. And she, he sensed, was someone who never forgot anything. And he knew, that if the situation was right, she would talk to him. Easily. Without any filter. Regardless of the difference in their houses, class, blood or age. Whatever barriers that had usually protected him from any type of conversation he didn't want to engage him, Luna Lovegood simply floated through those walls, as if she were the Grey Lady herself. It frightened him to his core.