Chapter 16 - Abduction

Luna felt as if the flame that had constantly been burning in her chest had gone out. The spark of optimism that she could usually reach so easily and had become second nature to her, was missing. It wasn't a break up, not really. But right now they couldn't help each other. And although it was obvious both she and Blaise longed to be together for comfort, it could only last so long.

He wanted to protect his sister. And being in different houses made that all the more difficult. He knew he and his family were being watched. His mother was on the run from Lestrange abroad. And Magdalena was far too young and inexperienced to protect herself. The Carrows liked picking on those that were defenceless. And so Luna understood his insistence on keeping his head down to protect her.

Likewise, whether he liked it or not, he knew she wouldn't stop fighting. She had committed herself to the cause, and would do anything to help her friends. Blaise didn't want to see her hurt, and the past weeks had shown that there was no way she could promise that. She would get hurt, and she didn't mind it either. It was her way of protecting others. To support Harry. To even support her father, who, she could read from smuggled in Quibblers, was still supporting Harry too. She was proud of him for it.

But it meant that their quiet moments together were no more. It wouldn't be fair to either of them. And while she knew it was the right decision, she missed him terribly.

Glances in the Great Hall and in the hallways to class would break her heart every single time. She longed desperately to touch him again. To feel him against her. To kiss him. And she thought she could see the same desperate need in his obsidian eyes to whenever they would burn into her.

Several times she had found herself in the Room of Requirement, laying between the magical ferns on the forest floor, waiting. Waiting for the door to open and his deep voice to travel through the space. But he never did. Only once did she have a feeling he had been right there... but she would never be able to ask or prove it. It didn't matter.

She hadn't even realised how much he had affected her. How much joy she gained from him. Even Ginny seemed to have noticed something was off. Of course, anything could make someone depressed nowadays. The situation was dire. Neville had smuggled in a radio to follow Potter Watch and would relay the news to them. Good news was scarce. Just names and names of those dead or missing. It seemed an endless stream.

It did relight another fire in her. Emotions that usually didn't rule her but now seemed to get the upper hand. Rebellion. Fury. Anger. Determination. She had always seen herself as a balanced person in tune and in control of her feelings. Or rather, she accepted her feelings and let them play out without taking over her mind. But now that seemed impossible. It was both empowering and overwhelming.

But ever since their last meeting in October, now time seemed to crawl by. November had appeared endless. Now halfway through December, there was hardly any joy to excite them for the Christmas holidays. Instead, everyday seemed another battle, standing up against the ruthlessness of the Carrow's.

Of course the other teachers helped too, protecting them whenever they could. But emboldened by Neville, Ginny and herself, more and more students started to rebel. Even some of her house mates. Michael Corner for example was adamant to protect the younger students. They often got together in the evenings to check with the other students, to check if everyone was alright.

She stepped through the arched entryway into the Common Room after answering the bronze eagle's riddle correctly. Looking around, she already spotted Michael speaking with a group of first years. She went to them and was immediately greeted by Magdalena, Blaise's younger sister. She had promised Blaise to look out for her, and she had, forming a relationship with the younger girl. Looking into the girl's dark eyes always brought a jolt to her stomach as they were the same dark eyes like her brother's. Of course Magdalena didn't know the extend of her relationship with Blaise. While she knew Magdalena spoke about her to Blaise, they never said they were friends. It seemed easier to keep the young girl a bit more in the dark than either really wanted. It was safer for her.