Chapter 14 - A New Hogwarts

Blaise couldn't remember how or when he had heard that the Death Eaters had taken over the Ministry. Frankly, he didn't really care. He had known it would happen sooner than later. The whole wizarding world had simply waited for it to happen.

What he did remember, were the next torturous hours of pure panic. Two letters had brought him into that state. The first from Luna, telling him about her summer plans and her invitation to Ginny Weasley's brother's wedding.

The brother being Bill Weasley who he had seen slashed open by Fenrir Greyback. The bride, Fleur Delacour, the part Veela Triwizard Champion. Apparently the Weasley's had a knack of attracting the weirdest and most special witches and wizards possible. And so of course Luna and her father had been invited too. They were the neighbours after all.

The second letter, this time from Nott, had contained a flippant throw away line about the event, which had it been any other Pureblood family would have resulted in an elaborate celebration. Possibly one where all the Death Eaters were in attendance. Blaise hadn't thought anything of it, until he heard about the Ministry. Scrimgeour had fled - read died- and Thicknesses would now be Prime Minister. A wonderful puppet for You-Know-Who. They now held all the power, could do anything they wanted. And somewhere in his subconscious, Blaise had made the connection and knew that the wedding was in trouble, as were all the guests, including Luna.

Blaise, who had never prayed before in his life, had simply sunk down on his knees and prayed to anything he could think of, to make sure Luna was safe. Perhaps she hadn't gone to the wedding after all. Or had left early. Or had defended herself and eliminated a few Death Eaters herself. He wouldn't mind seeing her edgy and more in tune with her nearly nonexistent darker side.

But nothing calmed him down and as day went into night and back into morning without any word from her, he had expected the worst. Knowing that her death along with so many others everyday, would not be reported on, he found no comfort in the Prophet the next morning.

The paper had only added to his anxiety because large on the front page were new education decrees that the Ministry had 'long deliberated on', which was that attendance to Hogwarts would be mandatory to any young Pureblood or proven Halfblood witch or wizard. After Dumbledore's death many children from muggleborn or halfblood family had already taken it upon themselves to leave. But now their fears had truly been realised. Even for the Purebloods such as Blaise himself, who was not part of the Death Eater circles, couldn't escape anymore either. Had it not been so frighteningly real, Blaise could have praised the terror strategies. This way they could keep everyone under their thumb.

Even Magdalena understood that this was bad as she snuggled next to him on the living room couch.

"So, I will have to go now?" She asked quietly and it broke Blaise's heart to hear so much doubt in her voice. Only months ago, the mere mention of Hogwarts had made she excited beyond believe. But now it was different. Everything was different. He held her close.

"Don't worry Maggie. Hogwarts still remains the best place to study magic and I know you'll love it. I'll be there to protect you."

Their uncle had then come in and told them all about his time at Hogwarts, which Blaise knew was greatly embellished to cheer up his little niece. Just as he started to launch into an hilarious tale about Peeves the Poltergeist, an owl arrived through an open window. Blaise instantly recognised the bird and flew off the couch to meet it. A small single piece of parchment, rolled up neatly was presented to him. He had a hard time focusing on the words on the page, and forced himself to take deep breath's. He ignored the curious questions from his uncle and sister.

Shaken but fine and safe. There was too much excitement. See you aboard.

L