Pushing the Envelope

T-Minus two days before Katrina got on a C-5 with Rooster, Apex, Colombiana, Phoenix and Bob and headed to Turkey and then transported to an air craft carrier to do final prep for the mission. She went through her flight gear while waiting for the rest of the class to come in for the second to last in-air simulation. Everything was set on her gear and she had already checked her jet earlier that morning.

"Morning Rooster," Katrina says as the tall, build pilot struts into the hangar and takes his seat at the back of the rows of desks. Rooster nods but doesn't say anything back to Katrina and she took that as a sign something was wrong. Rooster was always happy to see her, "What's your deal this morning?"

"No deal just locking in," Rooster shrugs and looks at his watch. Katrina doesn't say anything back. She had a feeling she shouldn't push his buttons this close to their mission.

Everyone else slowly files in taking their seat and finally Maverick takes point at his podium.

"Good morning pilots," Maverick greets and they give him a chipper 'good morning' back. "We have two practices left let's make them perfect. Team Alpha, Apex is under the weather she's currently in Medical getting treatment and is expected to be back on her feet by this evening until then, Colombiana you're solo."

They all nod accepting the change and hoping Apex was back with them as soon as possible. This mission couldn't be completed without her skills as Colombiana's WSO.

"Team Echo," Maverick announces. "You're up first go for it."

Katrina and Rooster huddled around the radio listening to the communication line. Team Echo progressed through their mission without a hitch and were back on the ground in no time. They did their simulation so well Maverick had them run it again. Katrina timed them on her watch and they flew through the simulated cityscape and dropped their two missiles on target and turning around with a minute to spare. They had the easy mission.

It was difficult for Katrina's team to weave through their landscape at such a fast speed. The first two days of training consisted of them running into simulated mountains and flying too high and getting knocked out by enemy SAMs. Their widow was small and they had barely made it most of the time.

The difference came when Rooster decided Katrina would fly point with Colombiana and Apex on her wing. He lead Phoenix and Bob in the tail. Katrina was in the fastest and most able jet and Rooster knew she could get through the valley the best. It would be easier if they followed her through. She was also the best at dog fights and would be able to knock down more MiGs if it came to that. It was only right she came out first.

Team Alpha suited up and got airborne quickly getting into position for their simulation.

"Dagger one, taking point," Katrina announced over her communication line.

"Dagger two in position," Colombiana confirmed.

"Dagger three set," Rooster said.

"Dagger four locked," Bob confirmed for Phoenix.

"All pilots go," Maverick says and Katrina shifts her stick hitting super sonic immediately.

Katrina flew through the simulated topography keeping an even pace and made sure not to gain any altitude. She was already at their peak and didn't want to push it. She could get lower if she wanted to.

"Alphas, status?" Katrina asks looking at her own time.

"On track," The four behind her say.