The Boy Savior

There was this feeling as he took off his mask. One you couldn't name. It resided in the pit of your stomach, rising through your chest. The impression wasn't a bad one, you were sure. But the entire experience was curious in itself.

He slowly reached up to his face, clutching the sides of his mask. There was a curious white mark on his nose. And behind it stood a dark complexion with piercing black eyes. They were clear eyes, not muddied by guilt, shame, or secrets.

It was like you tell every emotion just by looking at him.

"Look, I know you don't trust me," he said slowly, "and you don't have to. But I am going to help you." He looked down at the lock, clasping his hand around it. "Is this the only lock? Does it have a defense mechanism?"

You shook your head. "It's the only one, and it doesn't. I don't think you're gonna be able to get at it, though. I've tried everything." You sulked.

"Well, we'll just see." He took out a long, metal tool from his jacket. It almost looked too big to be a lockpick, but somehow, he wedged the end of it inside. He jostled it around in the lock, careful he didn't make too much noise. After a minute or two, there was a resounding click.

He smiled, putting his mask back on. And as he slowly led the door out, it took a good minute for your brain to recognize what was happening. Gradually, you stepped out of the cage. Did everything seem brighter? It was such a strange feeling-

"You should be good, but I still want to get you out of town," he said, throwing down a board from his back. Shockingly enough, rather than clattering to the ground, it hovered just above it, glowing with a green light. But you were far more distracted by other things.

"What's your name? I want to know who I can thank." He tilted his head to the side. He started towards your hands, unlocking the cuffs with the lock pick. And the same click was heard, the cuffs falling with a loud thud.

"I usually don't give it out to strangers," he said carefully. "But," he stepped closer, putting a hand on your shoulder, "it's -"

"Well, what do we have here?"  a deep voice sneered. "Coupla' love bugs? Is someone stealing my prize? Yer one of those Firelights, right? Such savior complexes you all have."

Darius.

The masked man suddenly grabbed you by your shoulders, pushing you onto the hoverboard. With one swift jolt forward, the two of you whipped past Darius. His voice was rapidly getting further away, screaming curses.

You, however, were more preoccupied with trying to hold on to the Firelight. The ground was far too much away for comfort. After about a minute or two of this, he slowed down to a stop.

The boy stepped off of his board, kicking it up to his arms. You just stood there, stunned. All this had happened so fast your brain was still rendering it.

He turned to you. "You can go by yourself now if you want, but I won't be able to protect you. You're free to come with me, of course."

You considered it, looking down at the new scenery. There was a sprawling city under the both of you. Green lights adorned the buildings and streets, and there was a sour smell of pollution. The buildings were all dark colors. A stark contrast to the jewel-resembling skyscrapers you saw before.

Something about it seemed more genuine, in a way. Of course, there was the fear of a new, unknown place in the pit of your stomach, but you didn't feel that pressure and intimidation led by all the beauty and people that surrounded you up top.

"So?" He said, "did you want to come with me?"

"What's your name?" You said, interrupting him. He tilted his head.