Risks

You recovered sooner than Ekko did. Well, "recovery" for you was being able to walk. He was bound to his bed, so you would constantly visit him. Ekko was good company as it found, and he had a way of telling stories that even something as simple as a gadget mishap could become entertaining.

Growing closer, the two of you were attached at the hip, so people were starting to notice. Not like you both care enough to listen. So, that meant that you would frequently visit him. You were standing in the doorway.

"So yeah, I got oil all over her," Ekko smiled.

"Was she mad?"

"Oh, furious. She didn't let me go down there for weeks." You moved to sit beside him on the bed. Strangely enough, the soft creak of the bed was comforting to you now. Folding out your legs, you moved to lie down. Ekko was comfortable with this, to your surprise. Not like you were complaining, though.

It stayed like that for a couple of moments, the only sound coming from the clamoring of your fellow Firelights outside. Soft chirps of crickets filled the space between you two. The day was becoming darker, and the shadows were growing every second. Much unlike how it usually was; the shouts of the kids hurting your ears. Yet, despite the peculiar scene, you weren't unnerved by it.

Despite the calming scene, Ekko had that look behind his eyes again. You've seen it so much it was almost infuriating how you couldn't tell what he was thinking. Part of you wanted to know mainly because of how mysterious the man is. He was always thinking, forever calculating- but how he could make decisions as fast as he does- escapes you. Not only that, but you wanted to know how he felt about you- After what happened with Jinx-

"I'd just have to touch him-" you thought. But you quickly shook away that idea. "No- His privacy needs far more respect than my curiosity. But. . . "

"Ekko," you started gently. "You're not mad at me, are you?" His gaze locked onto yours.

"Why would I be?"

"Well, after what happened with Jinx, you seemed pretty upset. And I wanted to say I'm sorry for acting so irrationally." Why were you saying this? You knew that you'd wanted to ask for a while. Was now the right time, though?

Ekko sighed through his nose, pursing his lips together. After about a second, he nodded slightly. "Yes, I was mad. What you did was impulsive and dangerous. But also extremely brave." Your eyes widened. "I owe you my life, something I don't forget easy. Call me overprotective, but I care about you."

Taking a risk, you reached for his free hand. He was feeling tired, relaxed, and-

"I know you can read what I'm feeling right now," he said matter-of-factly. "I got nothing to hide, but here's the real question." Moving closer, you could feel his breath fan against your face. "What are you going to do about it?"

Something erupted in your chest, disregarding all the alarms going off in your head of, "He's so close!" And, "What if I hurt him?"

Quickly, yet as gently as you could, you brought your face to his, kissing him. His hand let go of yours, wrapping around your back. He kissed softer than you would've imagined. It held a kind of warmth that quelled any anxiety from the situation. But then, reality hit you like a ton of bricks. You lifted your head. Oh goodness. What good would it do to fall in love with a human?

"I'm so sorry! I should've asked-" His hand pressed against your back, trying to move you back down. Unlike his look from earlier, you could tell what he was thinking behind those dark eyes. They matched the feeling coursing through your veins when you took his hand. There was a fire, a spark. You've seen it in the eyes of the lovers back in Ionia but never would've thought that someone might look at you that way.

"No, I like it," he said, blushing more than you thought he could. "Please, may I-" He lifted his head, but it wasn't enough to fully meet your face, causing his lips to only brush against yours. Sighing through your nose, you closed that last bit of distance, bringing back that warmth. It was quiet, gentle. Interestingly no one came in, but it's not like you would've cared about it anyway. For now, it was just the two of you, and every time he kissed you, those racing thoughts were quelled.

After a couple more minutes, you moved your head to lie on his chest. Hand now over your head, he played with your hair as the silence stretched between the two of you. You carefully moved your ears so they wouldn't hit him in the face. But, because of this, you could hear his fast and steady heartbeat.

"This could be bad for both of us," you mumbled into his chest. "Most everyone hates creatures with the Arcane-" Good, come up with a reasonable excuse.

"I don't," Ekko interrupted. "I've seen it. And it's beautiful." Damnit, why did he have to be so sweet?

"I'm sure you think so, Ekko. But people might start judging you for it. For. . . Me." Ekko fixed his hand against your head now, no longer moving it. You couldn't see his face, but you could tell what he is going to say. It was too risky- too. . . Everything.

"To hell with their opinions. We'll deal with it when it happens." Ekko gently leaned closer to you, moving his forehead to touch yours. His words surprised you, and he noticed.

"So we're a 'we' now?"

"Do you want it to be?"

___________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! I'm happy to tell you that I've created a Spotify playlist for the fic! This includes songs featured in the chapters and songs I feel suit the vibe. Feel free to ask for any song to be added, and I'll most likely add them. 

Thanks for all the love. <3

Run away, but we're running in circles~

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/10erbTgWiWDhNNhEdh9DSc?si=687d8dd4c41b487a