Similarities and Recoveries

Once the dust settled, Ekko sent a help flare to call the Firelights. Ten minutes later, Chirean and Vi came as cavalry.

"Jeez- We let you out one time, and it turns into this?" Vi said, supporting the Newbie with her shoulder. "Maybe you two should lie low for a little longer-"

"NO," they said at the same time. Ekko glanced at her and continued, "If we keep running away, she'll think we're getting weak." He hissed through his teeth as Chirean hauled him up. Walking through the back alleyways, the sun rising over the buildings, causing the orange light to reflect around them.

And while it was pretty, he had to get the questions he had out.

"Did you know that Silco died?"

Vi stopped so suddenly that she almost dropped the girl. She adjusted her again before she continued. "I thought of it, but I didn't know for sure," she paused, unable to process the look that Ekko was giving her. "Powder shot him with her gun-- by accident. She ran to him, but Caitlyn and I didn't stay to find out."

"And you just-- Didn't mention it?" the fury in his voice started to rise. "Do you know what this means for us, Violet?" Ekko used her real name, and he didn't care how much that hurt her. That sort of disrespect was nothing compared to what he was feeling. "This means that all hell's going to break. Because now they're a snake without a head! We should've been preparing-"

"CAN YOU JUST CHILL FOR A SECOND," Vi yelled, causing the vastaya she was holding to lower her ears. "Look, I know I didn't make a good decision, but you two are hurt- Sorry, Ears," she added, looking her way.

"It's whatever."

Ekko sighed. Refusing to look at Vi any longer, the rest of the trip home was quiet.

Back at the Sanctuary, they were put in the Medical Room. It was a relatively small room with three cots lined up side by side facing the door. To the right was a little apothecary cabinet where the ingredients for medicine were made. They were both sat down and were swiftly dealt with. Ekko had hurt his leg many times before, but now he'd have to stay longer than usual because it was a break.

The Newbie got some second-degree burns along her back and pretty deep wounds, but at least she'd have an easier time recovering. He still couldn't believe that she'd go out of her way to protect him like that. Nobody had ever done something like that for him before. . .

"Move your leg," Chirean said, interrupting his thoughts. He lifted his leg, but a sharp jolt stopped him from putting it higher. Chirean tsked. "Yep, you're going to be here for a while." Ekko sighed in frustration. Locked up like a kid in his own damn home- He hated feeling like a sitting duck.

"It could be worse," he kept telling himself. He looked over to the Newbie. Vi was rubbing some lotion and numbing balm into her back. The vastaya kept twitching, probably because of how cold it was. He's gotten many burns, so he's used that remedy many times. She looked over at him with a wide, embarrassed smile. Ekko smiled back as she pulled on the new clothes Vi handed to her.

"It's fine. It goes away quickly. Moving makes it worse, though." She gave him a tired thumbs up as Vi closed the container.

"Alright, you both are going to stay here for tonight, so get comfortable. "If you need anything, just yell." She looked at Ekko. "We're going to talk later, Little Man." She closed the door behind her, leaving just the two of them.

Newbie turned to Ekko. "Little Man?" She said, smiling. Ekko could feel his face get a little hot. There was no point in lying to her, and he hated how she noticed the nickname.

"It's just an old name she used to call me, no big deal. We've known each other forever, so." The vastaya tilted her head, thinking.

"So that's what that was," she said quietly. Ekko's eyes widened.

"What was 'what'?" Now it was her turn to act flustered. He had seen her flustered before, but never like this. It was like she was hiding something-- Or was she embarrassed?

"Well, when you lent me your jacket, I noticed that 'Little Man' was embroidered on the cuff. I didn't mean to pry or anything," she said, waving her hands. "It's just now I can see that the name means a lot to you."

"Sure does," he looked down. "It's what the people down here used to call me. She gave me the name because I was the youngest."

"The youngest. . . Of what?" Her ear flicked. Ekko hesitated. He didn't want to get too personal, but her questions made it hard for him not to.

"Before the Firelights, I was in a small group of kids protected by a man named Vander. Vander was a good man, kind right down to the bone. He had a friend named Benzo, who took care of me when my parents weren't able to. Most everyone adored them, but especially Vander.

"Most?"

He nodded. "Of course, there were those that disliked how he ran things, how they could do nothing about it. Especially Silco. Silco's the one that killed him. I know it was. If he didn't start this shit, Jinx wouldn't have reacted how she did." Ekko glanced over to the vastaya. Her eyes widened. She put a hand up to her mouth, and he could practically see her thoughts.

"Jinx- She looked similar to the portrait on the wall. Is that the same girl?"

A moment of silence passed between the two, but that only proved his point.

"I'm so sorry-" She said, putting her ears down. ". . .For what you've had to go through. I can only imagine the pain you must've felt. You're brave, Ekko. More than I could ever be."

"You've got to be kidding, right?" He said as she trailed off. "You one of Jinx's bombs for me. I think that's pretty badass." He laughed, and after a second, she joined too.

"Guess we're more similar than we thought."

"I suppose so, Newbie. I could get used to you."

"Same here."