Reunited

It's hard to get a moment of privacy in this compound. The only time I'm left alone is in my room for the night. As I stared out the window, gazing at the stars, an idea came to mind.

If I can hold the Ikran form long enough, I can escape. But can I fit out the window when I change?

I pushed open the window and looked down at the ground. I was at least three stories up.

Even if I fit, I'll still have to worry about the spotlights.

I swayed my tail in thought; eyeing said spotlights. They didn't seem to move too fast. I nodded to myself before backing up and closing my eyes. I'd practiced shifting into the colonel's Ikran a few times unsupervised already. I was getting better at it. I held shape for just over an hour last time.

As I focused, the familiar warmth spread across my body. In an instant, my shape altered. I opened my eyes and made my way back to the window.

If I had to choose a downside to this ability, I'd have to say that I hate the way it sounds when my body brushes against itself. Like nails on a chalkboard. I just hope my wings don't make that sound when I fly, otherwise I'll be caught real fast.

I climbed up onto the windowsill and poked my first wing out. I'd have to go sideways if I wanted to fit. I shimmied the rest of my body through before I jumped. I flapped awkwardly for a second as I started plummeting downwards before I finally managed to fly up properly.

This is way harder than it looks!

Fortunately, my wings didn't seem to be making any sounds. I glanced around warily before I flew off towards the forest. As I neared the edge of the forest, one of the lights flickered towards me. I quickly flapped backwards to dodge it.

That was too close for comfort..

I was starting to get exhausted already. Flying was taking more out of me than just merely changing shape.

As soon as the light was elsewhere, I pushed forward. I wanted to make it back to the sea before my shape wears off.

I'm coming, Na'wei. Please be there.

I chose to stay down in the trees rather than fly above them. I didn't want to risk getting caught when I'm so close to freedom.

I just hope I'm going in the correct direction. They haven't taken me back outside the walls since my first exploration.

I pushed myself to fly faster. Eventually, I broke through the trees. Right above the sea. I let out an alarmed shriek of fear.

Holy shit, it looks creepy as hell at night!

I shook my head. I really needed to get over this fear if I wanted to escape. Before I could think more on the subject, my shape failed and I plummeted downwards. I slapped my hands over my mouth so I wouldn't scream and I squeezed my eyes shut. I collided with the water, but instead of flailing I kept still. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around. The water was surprisingly very clear, and the glow from my Na'vi body was lighting the area.

It's actually beautiful.. Maybe I can let go of this fear. Eventually..

I swam up and shoved my head out of the water. I gasped for breath and wiped at the water on my face. Not that it did any good since my hands were wet as well.

"Well..what now?" I asked myself out loud.

I looked around, hoping to see Na'wei's little head poke up out of the water. No such luck though. I sighed.

Maybe if I think about their shape well enough, I can change into them. I'm pretty exhausted though.. I pouted.

Even if I changed, I wouldn't make it very far before it failed me. With that in mind, I just decided to swim.

Na'wei will find me. I'm sure of it.

I'd been swimming for a good while before I decided to stop for a break. I turned to look back at the land but I could barely see it anymore.

Well, there's no going back now..

Something brushed against my leg and I tensed. I was suddenly jostled up into the air. I let out a startled squeal but then realized I was on top of something. No, someone.

"Na'wei!" I wrapped my arms around their neck. "I missed you!"

Na'wei clicked happily and spun in circles.

I giggled and sat up straight. Na'wei stopped and looked at me expectantly. I immediately grabbed my queue connection and linked it up with theirs.

Crystal! I see you.

I grinned.

I see you, too, Na'wei. I knew I'd see you again!

I stayed and I waited. I am glad that I did!

I am, too. It took so long to get away from those people.

How did you? Na'wei tilted their head curiously at me.

I smiled sheepishly at them.

I was taught how to use my abilities. I used them to sneak away.

Abilities?

Yes. I…I can take the shape of any creature. I turned into an Ikran to get away.

Na'wei seemed confused but nodded their head.

I hope that you show me sometime. I would love to see.

Of course I will. You..don't think that makes me a monster?

Na'wei gave a soothing click.

You are a nice person, Crystal. You could never be a monster.

I smiled and hugged Na'wei again.

Thank you. I really needed to hear that.

Na'wei closed their eyes and made something resembling a cat's purr.

I can still take you away from here if you wish. I can take you to the Na'vi that care for us.

I sat up and rubbed Na'wei's head soothingly.

Please. Anywhere is better than with them.

And with that, Na'wei carried me off towards the open sea. I was beyond nervous to meet any actual Na'vi, but with Na'wei at my side, I feel like I can accomplish anything.

A/N: I mean, it's a little longer than the last chapter. I'm trying, I promise. Hope you guys like it!