Leaving

Tonowari followed my gaze.

"Jake called for help when he heard about Kiri. Ronal will not like this."

I looked back at Tonowari, slightly less worried now.

"What did happen to her?"

"I heard she connected with the spirit tree, and in turn, started having a seizure." 

My eyes widened. "Is that normal?"

Tonowari shook his head. "Kiri must have a deep connection with Eywa that not even she understands."

I frowned and rose to my feet. My chest still ached from nearly drowning.

Tonowari grabbed my wrist and rose as well.

"Are you sure you are alright?"

I glanced at him, "Yeah. I think I just need some rest. You should probably go greet the Sky People."

Tonowari looked towards the aircraft, clearly torn between his duty as Olo'eyktan and his concern for me.

"I'll be okay. I promise I'll stay away from the water."

Tonowari sighed heavily before nodding and walking away.

I watched him go with a frown. I lowered my gaze and stared at the sand, ears quivering with a sadness that I didn't quite understand.

I think it would be best for me to just leave. Tonowari has Ronal, two wonderful children, and one on the way. I cannot let my feelings for him ruin what he has.

I turned and slunk back to my hut.

It had been a few hours since the aircraft had arrived. I was sitting outside my hut, using one rock to draw on a larger one. I didn't even look up when someone sat next to me.

"What are you drawing?" It was a male. One I didn't recognize. 

I shot him a glance. He seemed nervous. I hummed and returned my gaze to the stone.

"A creature from Earth."

"Ah, I see. It looks similar to a Palulukan."

I twitched my tail in slight annoyance. He glanced at it when it made its clinking sound.

"I apologize if I am bothering you."

I set the rock I was drawing with down and turned my head towards him. 

"You're not. I'm just lost in my thoughts. Are you..not disgusted by me?"

The Metkayinan male frowned at that.

"No. I actually think you are quite beautiful." He rubbed his neck nervously.

Oh..

"I've actually been struggling here. There's this guy I have feelings for, but he already has a mate. I've been thinking about leaving.."

He stared at me, wide eyed. 

"By yourself?"

"Of course. I'm sure I can take care of myself."

"I could.. I could go with you?"

I rose. "I'm not going to make you leave your home. I don't belong here. You do."

He rose and grabbed my arm. "I am choosing to go with you."

"Crystal?" I looked over at Tsireya as she approached. She eyed his hand on my arm. "Is he bothering you?"

He immediately removed his hand.

"No, he's not. How's Kiri?"

Tsireya wouldn't meet my gaze. "She is awake."

I smiled, "That's great news!" 

Tsireya nodded.

I looked at the guy. "Can you give us a moment?"

He nodded, "Of course." He glanced at Tsireya before he left.

She looked at me. "You are leaving? With..him?"

"I'm leaving by myself. I don't want to ruin anyone's lives."

Tsireya frowned, "Why can you not just see?"

"See what? That I make him happy? Reya, I am not going to be responsible for breaking them apart."

"They are already apart! It is just a show!" Tsireya shook her head. "They do not love each other, Crystal."

I looked away. "My decision is final."

Tsireya's eyes teared up. "Fine.." she turned and left.

I watched her retreating back. Willing myself not to cry. 

The guy came back. "When do we leave?"

I shot him an annoyed look. "We aren't going anywhere. You are staying with your tribe." 

With that, I changed into Ikran form and screeched at him. He reeled backwards in surprise. I turned and took off into the sky.

I don't belong here. I don't belong anywhere.

A/N: Y'all buckle up cause I'm a crazy mf. 😂 I promise we'll get to that goal eventually, I just don't want to rush anything. 💙