Mistake

I'd been with the Metkayina tribe for roughly two weeks now. I was practically a pro at swimming by now, but I still sucked at holding my breath. I hadn't seen Na'wei in a long time, and Reya had reassured me that they were probably adventuring again.

I'd grown quite close to Tuk, much to Neytiri's reluctance. She awoke a motherly love in me that I didn't know I had. Tonowari had allowed me to use my abilities again since I was doing good, so at this moment I was giving Tuk a ride as an Ikran. On the ground of course. With Neytiri keeping a close eye on me.

Tuk giggled as I ran around in circles. "Faster!"

I glanced over at Neytiri who shook her head once. I slowed down and pretended to be exhausted. I lowered my head, panting.

Tuk pouted, "Tired already?"

"Mother!" Lo'ak ran up to Neytiri. "There was an incident! Kiri is unconscious."

Neytiri looked at her son with wide eyes. "Take me to her."

Lo'ak turned and ran off with Neytiri at his heels.

Tuk frowned, "I should go, too."

I gave a nod and lowered myself to the ground. Tuk slid off and ran after her family.

I changed back to my Na'vi form and watched her go.

I hope Kiri is alright..

I was curious as to what happened, but I figured someone would tell me later. With that, I turned and headed to the water.

I'll just go for a swim.

Tsireya had introduced me to a Tsurak yesterday. It was still young but since I needed training as well, she thought they would be perfect for me. The Tsurak was hesitant to connect with me, but I didn't blame them. I'm quite different after all.

I walked into the water and went out until I could no longer touch. I held my breath and dove underneath the water.

I glanced around in search of a familiar face. I saw various different Ilu and Tsurak but none I recognized.

I decided to swim around under the water for a little bit to get more used to holding my breath.

They make it look so easy.

I shook my head and closed my eyes. I willed my body to take on Ilu form. I sucked in a greedy breath after changing.

I'm not supposed to do this alone, but what's the worst that can happen?

I began swimming around with my newfound speed.

I moved towards the ocean floor and began nosing through the sand in search of shells. I'd seen some that were collected by others, and I decided that I wanted to collect some as well.

After a few minutes of searching, I finally found one I liked. Before I could grab it with my mouth, my form shattered. I gasped and slapped my hands over my mouth.

Shit!

I looked up and saw that I was very far down. I began swimming up as fast as I could.

I'm not going to make it..

My lungs were already starting to burn. Not only had I sucked in some water, but I didn't take in enough air beforehand. I could feel my body slipping into unconsciousness. I closed my eyes.

At least I'll be with Loki..

Everything went dark.

I spat up water and began coughing erratically. When I opened my eyes, the first thing I saw was Tonowari. He was dripping with seawater.

"Are you alright?" He sounded genuinely concerned.

"Y-Yeah.." I croaked.

Tonowari sighed, "I thought I had found you too late. I was giving you air for so long that I was ready to give up."

Giving me air?

My eyes widened slightly.

With his mouth? Did he..

I shook my head and slowly sat up.

"Thank you.."

He nodded, "What happened?"

I looked away. "You'll be mad if I tell you."

Tonowari narrowed his eyes. "I fear it will be worse if you do not tell me."

I winced and looked back at him.

"I took on Ilu form and I got distracted. My shape shattered too far from the surface."

Tonowari closed his eyes.

Is he angry?

"Crystal.. What you did was extremely dangerous." He looked back at me. "Your ability would have killed you if I had not found you."

"It wasn't my ability, it was my stupidity. I've never been good at decision making." I pulled my knees up to my chest and hugged them.

Tonowari placed a hand on one of my kneecaps.

"Please promise me that you will never swim alone again."

"I promise, Tonowari. I.."

My voice trailed off when I noticed an aircraft heading our way. My eyes widened with fear.

Have they found me?

A/N: I honestly didn't expect my story to be this popular. Comparatively to my Miss Peregrine story, you could understand my surprise. Avatar is more popular though..