Chapter 28 - Looking In The Mirror

A/N: contains abuse and is just triggering in general really. (Updates may be a little irregular because I have exams and stuff but I promise I'll never stop writing LH. Thanks for all your comments and thanks for reading. Stay tuned for more angst and definitely a bit of cute bubbline fluff.

I try to hold the phone to my ear but my hands are shaking, every where's shaking. Everything hurts. She answers the phone and I bite my lip. "Marcy? Is everything okay? You've been acting weird-" "I think we should break up." Bonnie doesn't reply for a couple of seconds and I hold my breath. I'm holding onto my chest now. "Why?" "I don't love you anymore Bonnie." I say and I almost start to sob. "I- I don't believe you. I'm outside. Say it to my face." I sigh, "What's there to say Bonnie? We're done." I hear her voice break a little and I want to break down. "Say it to my face and I'll leave you alone forever." I put the phone down and head downstairs. I open the door and Bonnie is stood outside, her hands in the pockets of her jacket. I tug on the hood of my jacket, pushing my sunglasses a little closer to my face. "Tell me you don't love me." "Bonnie-" "No. Say it to my face and I'll believe you." I take in a gulp of air before closing my eyes. "I don't love you anymore." I hear Bonnie choke out a sob and I open my eyes, "Well, if this is what you want. I'll get my stuff in the morning." She turns away and walks off and I'm not sure where she's going to go so I text Jake and tell him to look after her.

THREE WEEKS EARLIER

Things were going great.

Until I finally saw him.

I can't believe they let him back into this school, after everything he did. He moves away for good and suddenly he's back?

I freeze when I see him but try to carry on walking, "Bonnie, let's go." "Is that him?" She asks. I nod and I walk a little faster. That's when I hear his voice, "Hey, Marceline. Looks like you've got a new piece of eye candy, huh?" Ash says, walking towards Bonnie and I and pointing at Bonnie. I hear footsteps and see Finn and Jake get in between Ash and I. "I think you better step off before things get ugly, Asher." Jake says. Ash laughs, putting his arms up in mock surrender. I physically start to shake and Bonnie wraps her arm around my shoulders. "See you round, dweebs." Ash says, walking away.

Unknown (2:43pm): haven't seen u in ages abadeer

Unknown (2:43pm): feels like forever ;)

Marceline (2:56pm): Who is this

Unknown (2:56pm): I think u know who it is

I turn my phone off and put it in my drawer. "You okay Marcy?" Bonnie says, nudging me. We were watching a movie and I was trying to keep my cool but all that's going through my head is how did he get my number? I turn slightly, "What? No yeah I'm fine." I say, placing my hand on top of Bonnie's. Bonnie raises her eyebrows at me but goes back to watching the movie.

I couldn't tell her. They were just texts, anyways. Anyone can send a text. I'll just ignore them. Plus, I couldn't worry her like that. She'd want to call the police and, well, the police have never really done any good for me before.

I was meant to be in pre-calc but who actually cares about math? I laugh to myself, walking into the bathroom and into one of the empty stalls. I hadn't been getting anymore texts from Ash, so I was feeling better. A little less guilty anyways. Technically I wasn't lying to Bonnie, though. I was just restricting information.

The bathroom door opens and I frown. Everyone had class right now, who could- "Hey Marceline..." I freeze in my stall. "I know you're in here Marceline. I saw you walk in." "F-Fuck off Ash." He laughs, "F-F-F-Fuck off? You a little j-j-j-jittery there, Marceline?" I open the door to my stall and face up to him "How about I make it clearer for you: fuck off." As soon as the words left my mouth I regretted them.

He grabs me by my jaw and pushes me against the wall, "Listen here you little bitch," he says. I can barely hear him, though. There's a ringing in my ears and my eyes are stinging already, "Just because you have your friends and a new girlfriend does not mean I'm not in charge. I will always be in charge of you. I own you. You're nothing, you hear that? Nothing." I whimper under his hold and he releases me. "You'd better think twice before speaking to me like that again. I know where you live, and I'm sure your little pink-haired friend would love a visit from me." He says. I feel the colour drain from my face, "No, Ash, please, leave her out of it, she's got nothing to do with this." "I'll think about it." He says, winking at me and smacking my ass as he leaves the bathroom. As soon as he leaves I lock the bathroom door and slide down against it, trying to catch my breath.

I can't tell her. She'll get worried. She has enough problems. I'll figure something out. I sand up and dust myself off before looking in the mirror. My jaw is slightly red and I know there's gonna be a bruise there tomorrow. Ash was always the strong type. I try to cover it up with a bit of makeup and when it looks reasonable, I leave the bathroom and head to pre-calc. Maybe math wasn't such a bad idea after all.