day 29

~ dinner and invasions ~

prompt: "i chose you."
character: teresa (maze runner)
warnings: betrayal

     A cool breeze washes over the Right Arm's base, the sun starting to set over the horizon. Everyone begins eating dinner, leaving you to look around to find Teresa. Ever since reaching the Right Arm, Teresa has disappeared somewhere within the camp. Obviously she's hiding. You don't know why; however, a part of you also wants to get away from the crowd. After walking through the desert with a group of people and never getting a break can become tiring. You almost want to try to find her, but if she needs a break from people, that includes you.

    While grabbing dinner, you sit next to some of the other Gladers, who are already eating. "Wow, you guys sure are quick," you mention, looking around the group of hungry teens. However, it's still hard not seeing some of the older Gladers there, Alby, Chuck. Frypan shakes his head, "Now, this is definitely not comparable to my food, but this is delicious. Maybe it's because of the terrible food we've had.. but I'm starving." You nod, remembering how simple the Glade seems compared to what you've encountered. WICKED, the cranks, everything just seems so past that of the Glade.

    "Yeah... Fry you should've made some of this," Newt comments to the chef, a smile on his face. Despite everything you went through as a group, it feels content again. Like as if you were eating dinner in the Glade, and sometimes that's all you wish for. "In your dreams, I love my cooking but we just hiked how many miles?" Frypan argues, obviously joking to the other Gladers. You let out a small laugh, mostly just playing along. In all honesty, you just wanted to see Teresa again, ask her what's on her mind. If anyone has something on their mind that is important, it's her.

While dinner slows down and the sun is nearly gone from the sky, you finally see Teresa. She's looking healthy, clean, likely having taken a bath or shower. She makes eye contact with you, a smile on her face. Something about it just feels so fake, though. Her smile is small, there's no feeling behind it, no actual happiness. But all of the Gladers at some point faked a smile, you're even guilty of it. "Teresa!" You wave to the girl, ushering her over to your makeshift tent. It's small, but works.

"y/n, sorry I didn't sit with you during dinner," she first says, opening her arms to pull you into a hug, "I just need some time to myself, figure some things out." You let go of the hug and nod towards her, understanding her need to be alone on occasion. "I get it, I do. What are you thinking about?" You sit down on the rocky ground and pat the spot next to you, watching as she quickly joins you. She shakes her head while looking at the ground, "Why did I write 'WICKED' is good on my arm? You saw it in the Glade, right?"

    Your eyes narrow as you think about when you first saw her, the writing sloppy. "Honestly? I have no idea, as you and Thomas know, you worked with WICKED. Maybe you had some twisted idea that they were good?" Teresa frowns upon hearing you say 'twisted', hoping for a more positive response. She nods, changing her demeanor slightly to match yours, "Yeah, maybe you're right." You look over at her, wondering if she's having second thoughts about things. "Why? Do you think something's off about our assumptions of WICKED? I mean they did stuck us in a deadly maze for years."

    "Yeah, they did, but sometimes I wonder if it really was for the greater good. You know?" You shake your head in response, a disappointed look overtaking your face. "Sorry Teresa but I think that sometimes the way someone gets to their destination does matter. Torturing kids, Chuck... Why are you rethinking everything, what happened?" You stand up, wanting to take a few steps away from her. Every fear and anxiety building up as she stands too, reaching out for you. Her hands reach for yours, causing you to pull them back.

    Soon, the sounds of bergs replace anything Teresa is saying. You look up to see WICKED bergs flying into the Right Arm's airspace. "What did you do?" You shout over the noise, your hand pointing to the berg. Teresa covers her mouth with her hand, "I told them to come here!" You shake your head at her, tears building up in your eyes. "I chose you! We all chose to stay together and fight this! How could you?" You turn to see figures getting off of the bergs. You quickly push Teresa to the side and rush towards the other Gladers, hoping you can get through it together.