Ch 12: Vulnerable

Grian and Mumbo spent the day slowly fixing the horned hybrid's nest, separating the blankets that needed to be washed and the ones that didn't. Grian refused to let Mumbo help with his injured arms, having him take stock of whose blankets needed to be swapped out to keep him busy. The avian made a temporary drying rack outside of fence posts to hang everything up on. While they waited for the laundry to dry Mumbo messaged the group chat, hoping they didn't ask why their blankets needed to be traded again so soon.

[MumboJumbo] There's going to be some blankets in the mailbox that need to be traded when anyone has a moment. Mainly Doc and Scar's but at least one of everyones.

[Docm77] Everything okay?

[MumboJumbo] Yeah, Grian is with me. Just had a bit of an accident.

[Docm77] Alright, I'll stop by tomorrow.

[GoodTimesWithScar] It's okay Mumbo, we all have accidents sometimes!

[MumboJumbo] Not that kind of accident Scar...

[GoodTimesWithScar] Oh... sorry. Would you be up for some company in about an hour or two?

[MumboJumbo] It's okay, and I should be.

[GoodTimesWithScar] I'll ask again when I finish up.

[XisumaVoid] I should have time tomorrow to stop by. Let us know if you need anything else. <3

[MumboJumbo] If I think of anything I will.

While they waited for everything to dry, Mumbo sulked in the scraps of what was left of his nest. His tail constantly twitched either from irritation or nerves, he wasn't sure. Grian sat just outside the nest, rambling on about plans for his base and how he was going to do the back of it. Mumbo was happy to listen and occasionally chimed in, he'd help with the back of Grian's build if the avian helped expand his vault. The macaw seemed more than keen on the deal and started a tangent on how weirdly difficult it was to do the back, which made Mumbo chuckle. The bovine's communicator suddenly chimed from a new message which paused the avian's rambling.

[GoodTimesWithScar] Up for some company soon?

He stared at the message for a moment, taking way too long to understand it before sending back a yes. Grian stared at him in confusion but didn't bother to ask before moving to sit closer to him. "Scar is coming over," Mumbo mumbled as he put away the device and fiddled with a loose blanket.

Grian hummed and nodded, "If you're up for it, I think we should have another sleepover."

"That'd be nice," Mumbo agreed quietly, it had been a while since the last one they had at Scar's base. So much had chained since then, his favorite being able to have his ears out around the pair and he didn't have to sleep with them pinned either. His reminiscing was cut short as a familiar knock on the door signaled Scar's arrival. "Come in!" He shouted as he couldn't be bothered to leave his comfortable spot to answer the door.

"Where are you guys?" Scar's confused voice echoed throughout the vault.

"We're in the nest room Scar," Grian called out with a slight chuckle.

"Ah, hello," A fond yet gentle look covered Scar's face as he entered the nest room, "Doin' okay?" He asked softly as he took a seat next to Mumbo.

"Yeah..." Mumbo sulked and absently ran a hand over the bandages, "I should've-"

"Oh hush," Scar chided before reaching into his inventory, "I brought something to cheer you up." Mumbo's ears perked up as he was offered a small drawstring pouch.