Chapter 27

She sat on her arm chair, watching the sunset, from her balcony.

Her nights had become disturbed.

She was afraid of herself.

She had willingly killed him.

And there was no remorse.

And she believe that there never would be.

He was gone and from her hands.

Her spiralling thoughts were disrupted by the shrill sound of her ringtone.

She brought the phone to her ear and greeted the person on the other side.

"Yana," his voice addressed her promptly, "tomorrow's the day, you know what to do."

She gulped.

"I need you there ok?"

"I need only you." And the line went silent.

Her chest tightened, as she went to dial another number.

"Hello?"

"Alayna! I haven't heard from you for a while. Where have you been?" His exasperated voice reached her tingling ears.

"I'm good, I just wanted to tell you that I'm going to round to the building tomorrow, I just want to see you."

"Of course, you'll always be welcome." He wouldn't mean those words in a few days time.

"Ok. Thank you. Bye." The pauses between her words should have been a sign.

Yet he have grown a blind eye to all the signs.

She sucked in a deep breath and squeezed her eyes shut.

The feeling within her gut was horrible, she had made sure that she had created her safe house.

No employee that worked under her knew of it, only Mikhail knew of it, nothing more.

She had done everything he had said, with the constant doubt looming in her thoughts that he would betray her.

She couldn't help to remind herself that she had allowed herself to trust Zunair that little bit, and look where that had landed her.

She was stronger, yes.

But her heart has been swallowed by the darkness, unable to trust any man, or  anyone for that matter.

She felt like she had to always sit on the edge of her seat, she had to look over her shoulder, she had to make sure that she left no one a chance to drive a dagger through her back.

She had zipped her bag up, after parking it to the brim with things she needed, such as her paperwork,

Her hair was tied up into a bun, she slipped into her silk sheets afraid to be taken by the darkness and the nightmares she'll see.

The treacherous night was spent tossing and turning after she sank into her nightmare.

Laughter and screams echoed throughout her eardrums.

Both her own.

She was walking alongside him, their feet sunken into the warm golden granules of sand, their pinkies were interlocked.

Feeling the peace and serenity of the moment she leaned into him, her eyes suddenly droopy with fatigue.

He roped his arm around her shoulders, increasing that comfort.