Chapter 5

a/n: first taehyun pov who cheered !

"He was such a fucking show off. You wouldn't believe it, Kai."

Kai probably did believe it, actually; Taehyun had been complaining about the same boy from archery class for ten minutes.

"He's probably new, and eager. There's rumors going around about some kid that literally joined this year." Kai responded.

Taehyun sighed. Probably Changbin and his shit stirring. Not to be trusted.

"Maybe he's the kid of some deity of luck." Kai continued. "Who's his god parent?"

"No idea." Taehyun stated as he collapsed onto his bed.

The other thought for a minute. "Hm. Well, I guess we'll know tonight."

Kai then seemed as if he realized something. The two had been both best friends, and roommates, since they joined Pandora Academy at age six. 

Kai was currently sporting a look in his eye that Taehyun found to be very dangerous over the years of their friendship. 

"Maybe he's Apollo's son. Since he's apparently really good at archery."

Taehyun sat up abruptly. "Apollo's son is here?"

Kai shrugged. "Not sure. That's what the new kid is rumored to be" he said. "I didn't even know Apollo had a son."

Taehyun's chest tightened as he gulped. He had known.

It wasn't that it didn't seem odd that the child of an Olympian god didn't go to Pandora Academy. But Taehyun had always figured Apollo kept him to train for their fated battle. Maybe he was teaching him how to fight, instead of convincing his son to use some fucking mind control tactic like Taehyun's father tried with him.

But Taehyun had been practicing on his own. Combat, spells, actually useful things. And while he knew Apollo's son was probably doing the same, if not more, he'd be damned if he was the one who ended up dead.

He pulled himself back to earth, and realized he missed whatever Kai had said. "Sorry, what?"

Kai shook his head. "Off in space again? I said: either way, we'll know tonight. Whether or not Apollo has a kid."

Tonight. Of course. Taehyun had forgotten about Chan's party, seeing as he usually had a shitty time. Everyone would be dressed as their God parent, and if Apollo's son really was a student like him, Taehyun would be able to recognize him and finally figure out who his supposed sworn enemy was.

"Are you gonna abandon me like all the other years and float around?" Taehyun rolled his eyes, already knowing the answer to his own question.

"Hmm..." Kai pretended to think. "Probably!" He chirped and smiled at Taehyun, who shook his head despite the smile sneaking past his lips.

"You know, just because your dad is the god of communication doesn't mean you have to talk to everybody all the time", he stated matter-of-factly.

"He was the messenger of the gods." Kai said. 

Taehyun shrugged. "He was both."

"I know. But I like talking to people, Taehyun. You should try it sometime."

Taehyun snorted. "Yeah, Kai. Because the people in this school love talking to me. They practically beg at my feet to have a normal conversation with the Prince of the dead."

Kai smiled sadly. "Maybe you should just control their minds and force them to talk to you. Oooo!" He added a fake spooky voice, causing the other to roll his eyes and shove the blonde. "You know I don't like doing that."

"Right. Sorry." Kai smiled genuinely this time. Taehyun shook it off. "Whatever. Help me pick out something to wear so I don't look undead?"

As Kai jumped up at the suggestion, Taehyun tried to calm his mind and avoided thinking about the possibilities of the night.