Chapter 9

Beomgyu had archery and music every day.

The combat block of the archery class met after art, both set to meet every day in his schedule. If it were up to Beomgyu, it would be the last class he'd chosen to have the most often.

But it wasn't up to him. So here he was, running laps with the rest of the class.

"Alright guys." Hongjoong clapped as the class panted back to their original meeting spots. "As you know, today is combat day. This is Instructor Jeon, I expect you all to listen to him. Or I'll eat your kids Kronos style."

The man beside him laughed, and smiled in a way that made Beomgyu want to be hugged by him. "Thank you, Instructor Hong Joong. Jungkook is fine. Let's do some drills!"

It was when Instructor Hongjoong explained that they were going to be using drills with partners that Beomgyu really wished he were Yeonjun or Hyunjin, who currently got to have Womens' Studies.

He glanced around and felt his stomach turn at the realization that he had no one. Chan and Changbin immediately paired up, and even if he had the guts to ask Taehyun it wouldn't have mattered. Kai was in the class during that block.

He was just about to consider running and leaving the campus forever out of embarrassment, when a voice behind him said: "Beomgyu. Come on. We'll pair."

Before he turned around, he wondered why there was venom in the suggestion. Then he saw Jiyong, still obviously pissed from the night before, and he knew. And was fucked.

Of course it was combat day. And of course Hongjoong and Jungkook were going to have them use actual spears. Because the gods wanted Beomgyu to have the least possible chance of surviving this school.

There was no alternative, however, as everyone else has already paired up. He mumbled a "Fine" to the boy and joined him near the lake.

Jungkook offered no further instruction other than to bend their knees. Beomgyu tied his hair back, tightened the hold on his spear, and tried to remember every single thing he'd ever learned about combat.

Which was...oh yeah. Nothing.

He sighed and looked up at Jiyong, who looked like he was already planning a step-by-step murder.

Hongjoong blew a whistle, and all the students started fighting. It was supposed to be representative, no actual slashes made. Beomgyu focused on dodging every fake move that Jiyong threw at him, and prayed to the gods that the latter wouldn't make any real violent attmepts.

He couldn't help but feel he's working way too hard for a practice drill.

He dropped to his knees to avoid a swing to the face; he stepped to the left when Jiyong's spear went right. It was like something had sparked inside of him, and his body knew exactly what to do despite his brain never catching up.

Jiyong must've noticed this, because the frown on his face tightened and he twirled the spear above his head, balancing it on his fingers. Beomgyu had a thought that he should go into baton twirling, but he actually just looked at him, bewildered. Why on earth is he showing this off right now?

While Beomgyu scrunched his eyebrows in confusion and lowered his guard, Jiyong struck down and slashed his cheek.

As in, actually slashed it. Shit. Beomgyu's hand touched his face, and upon pulling it away he noticed blood.

"Dude, what the fuck?" He muttered between gritted teeth.

It was Hongjoong who noticed first, who blew his whistle to stop and jogged over to inspect.