TOMMY.

TOMMY frowned reading his evaluation for the year

TOMMY frowned reading his evaluation for the year. The words unfriendly and unapproachable was highlighted, but also skilled and works efficiently. Tommy slightly sucked his teeth, lightly throwing the paper on his table as he leaned back. He honestly could care less, he is the best artist in this shop so he didn't see why his "customer service" mattered. Even without being all buddy buddy, he still brought in the most money.

    Talent was going to beat being a kiss up every time, flattering people didn't make you good at your job.

    "You got your evaluation huh?"

    "Sho' did and don't give not a ounce of a fuck." Naomi chuckled, she had a good amount of tattoos but was hired here as their one and only piercer. She practically lived in the shop and was on call twentyfour seven so the boss felt no need to hire another.

     "What they wrote for you?" Naomi questioned sitting in the chair where customers usually sit.

    "Something about me being unfriendly."

     "I got inappropriate and overly affectionate...It be them bitches. How the fuck you bring yo' man for a nose piercing but you mad I'm in his face? What the hell imma do? Pierce him with my mind?" Tommy shook his head crackling a light smile.

    "They outta' pocket, tired of working here. If I had my own shop I wouldn't have to deal with this shit."

    "If you had your own shop I'd quit right now. I've been telling you. Go for it."

    "I would if it was that easy. I would need to hire a staff, buy good quality equipment, plus the building rent not to mention paint jobs and furniture. None of that is in my budget right now."

    "You could always ask your brother." Tommy side eyed Naomi and immediately frowned.

    "You know good and fucking well I ain't asking that nigga for a damn thing, I wouldn't even ask him for a burger off a fuckin' dollar menu."

    "Give him more credit, he'd give you the money."

     "Yeah then become a control freak and obsess over the way I do shit and wanna give unasked for criticism. I wanna do shit my way and my way only. I ain't making the same mistake of asking him for anything ever again." Naomi shook her head, Tommy always had a love and hate relationship for his older brother, August. The few times she met him he did kind of seem like the "dad" type, also extremely strict but other then that? He seemed alright.

  Your typical over protective older brother.

   Someone had to be the responsible and uptight one when you have a brother like Tommy.

    As reckless and hot headed as they come.

     "I hear it was yo little brothers birthday though?" Naomi said changing the subject, Tommy smiled.

    "Yeah, he a whole grown man now. He didn't even wanna spend his birthday with us, he went to some club with his friends.Ain't heard from his ass since, prolly' got a hang over"

    "What you get him?" Tommy shrugged.

    "Nothing too special, he's been meaning to get another tattoo and so I drew him up an original piece and told him come in whenever he ready.It's on the house."

    "That's something special."

    "Compared to August getting him a car? It ain't. He always gotta do the most." Tommy grumbled bitterly.

      "It's not a competition, Tommy. Jealousy is a disease." Tommy waved her off.

     "You being real funky and miserable, let's go get food."

      "Your car or mine?"

     "We can take mine,  I'm in the mood for tacos." Tommy stood up grabbing his phone as he walked towards the door along with Naomi.

     "Like TacoBell?"

     "No, like actual authentic tacos not that slop on a plate ass shit." Tommy let out a small chuckle as his phone rang in his hand, he looked down seeing the caller I.D was his brother, August.

   "You can start the car, I gotta take this." Tommy said, Naomi nodded unlocking her car as Tommy walked a few feet a way before answering.

    "Yo?"

    "Why you always answer the phone like that?" August questioned, Tommy smacked his teeth.

     "You the only one that got a problem with it."

    "Yeah, I'm sure da' ladies swoon over you answering da' phone like you ain't got no sense." Tommy huffed.

    "What sigh you want? You called to lecture me bout' vocabulary?"

    "Mom wants us over for dinner, tomorrow at 5pm sharp, no excuses. I was trying to let Shakurr know first but I can't get a hold of him. Just in case you do, relay the message. I already sent him a text."

    "It was his birthday, nigga out enjoying life."

    "You could be right but I need you and him there and it would help if you come exactly at 5 or earlier. Just don't be late."

    "If I'm late it's cause I got shit to do, I don't be purposely late."

    "Did I say that?"

    "I ain't-"

    "But did I say that?" It was silent for a few seconds."Aight then...Cut the hostility Tommy, it ain't even called for. Prevent yourself from being late by doing all the shit you need to do from an early start, it's real simple. You don't think Im busy? Or got shit to do? It's about priorities."

    "Ok! I get it! Imma be on time, anything else you wanna nag about?" Tommy heard August sigh over the phone, he could just picture him shaking his head.

     "Goodbye, Tommy." August said. Tommy looked at the phone before shoving it in his pocket and walking towards the car and getting in.

    "Who was that?"

    "August. Nagging me about some dinner at my mama house, telling me not to be late. I don't know why mama ain't just tell me herself.

    "She want y'all to talk more, duh. Anyway you going?"

    "Do I even got a choice? I can deal with my mama nagging, but him? I'm better off going and seeing what they want." Naomi only laughed.

   "At least try to not start anything."

    "I never start shit, I only finish it."