6

warning(s): biting/blood drinking

'And I thought hearing the god of music perform for Olympus was going to be the most beautiful sound I heard,' I thought in awe as I joined her in laughing. 'Who knew someone's laugh could sound so gorgeous.'

I glanced away as her laughter died down, the pounding in my chest making it difficult to look at her again. It also didn't help that she was very pretty and smelled amazing. Her hands landed on my shoulders before I was returned to my bed, my eyes glancing up when I was forced to sit.

"...Are you sure about this? Once I bite..."

"I'm sure," I muttered, sucking in a sharp breath when she slotted herself onto my lap. "Wh-what are-?"

"Just making sure you don't squirm too much," Lady Cassandra hummed as she tilted my head. "This is going to hurt."

'Thank the gods I'm a masochist.'

Soft lips ghosted over the skin of my neck before a gentle kiss was placed on my pulse. I took a shaky breath and a second later, the stinging pain of her fangs breaking skin shot through my body and earned a low hiss in response. We stayed like that until the tension in my body eased a bit, signaling for her to remove her fangs. I internally cringed at the feeling — quickly becoming distracted by her tongue dragging over my skin. A quiet yelp left me when her grip suddenly tightened and a hungry growl left her.

"Isa, you have to be more careful around vampires," Apollo sighed as he bandaged my arm. "The smell and taste of demigod blood will bring out a more primal side of them. They won't be able to stop drinking."

I rolled my eyes and pointed at the wound he just wrapped. "Notice how I have this wound and not bite marks on my neck?! She fought back that side to save my life, you didn't have to kill her!"

"She would've-."

"I saved her little sister. She was repaying me. She wasn't going to hurt me."

'Then again, she never tasted my blood,' I thought as lady Cassandra moaned as she swallowed another gulp. 'Don't make that sound while straddling me-.'

Lady Cassandra pulled away after another gulp, her hand covering her nose for a second. "Tastes as sweet as it smells."

"My blood smells sweet?"

"Mhm — like a sweet wine with an undertone of an Earthy smell."

"...I've never been told that before," I muttered and cleared my throat, trying to suppress the blush I felt coming. 'I can't let her see me glowing.'

Lady Cassandra giggled before she got back to bandaging me, her cold hands a much-needed welcome to my overheated body. I knew she could tell something about me was different after that — considering the pause she took — but her focus remained on her task at hand as she quickly got to work.

By the time she finished bandaging my abdomen, the clock showed it was midnight, meaning the lady would have to go to bed soon. A soft sigh left her as she stood up with the kit, her gold eyes scanning my face before stopping on my cheek. I shifted to hide my scar from her gaze — the memory of how I received it threatening to resurface.

Lady Cassandra cleared her throat before leaving — letting me lift my gaze to the ceiling to stare into the darkness. The longer I stared, the louder and clearer the whispers became, making my face scrunch up while I covered my ears. 'Damn ghosts. Where the fuck is Mel when you need her?!'

"Speak of the Devil and she shall come," My heart stopped at the familiar voice — prompting me to sit up like a rocket. "Oi, dumbass! You're gonna reopen your wounds by doing that!"

"Keep your voice down!" I hissed despite the groan of pain that followed. "Do you want them to come in here?!"

"Whatever," Melinoë grumbled before making her way over to me. "Look, I know you're mad we didn't arrive sooner, but there's someone in this village managing to combat Hekate's magic — that's the only reason we didn't show up sooner."

'I knew there was a reason,' I smiled and wrapped my arms around her neck, ignoring the burn of my wounds. "I think I might know who it is."

"I do too," Another voice chimed before Makaria appeared out of a dark corner. "The woman everyone calls Mother Miranda... Mother and Father have mentioned her in passing a few times... Seems she's been keeping tabs on people with relations to the gods."

"So it was targeted..."

"The moment you landed in her village — her territory — she knew she had to snatch you up. You're her only chance at getting her daughter back, she won't let you go so easily."

"...At least the crazy bitch is hot," I sighed only to receive a punch to the shoulder from Melinoë. "Kidding! ...Slightly."

"Isa!" Makaria whisper-yelled, sending me a small glare.

"Okay, okay... But my new boss and her daughters are hot."

"What are you trying to say?" Makaria sighed in exasperation.

"Let us stay here for a bit — get a feel for what's actually going on in this village."

"Recon? Really?" Melinoë deadpanned, her eyes narrowing when my body began to heat up. "If that's the reason, then why are you glowing?"

'DAMN THESE POWERS-'

The two shared a look before sighing — ultimately giving up and accepting that answer. When a yawn escaped me, they bid me goodnight before planting kisses on my forehead and leaving. I stared at the space they occupied a moment ago with a smile, letting my heavy eyes droop until they finally shut — sleep welcoming me the moment darkness was all I could see.

Cold, wet, and terrified. Those were the first things I felt — a rush of adrenaline coursing through me before a searing pain shot through my body. Water rushed into my mouth and throat when I tried to scream, increasing the panic that was coursing through me. A familiar voice — although distorted — called out a distorted name, causing me to look around for the source of the sound. When my eyes finally found light, I realized I was underwater — quickly making me glance down to the source of pain in my body.

'Right... This is how Basil died...'