Smoke break: Lark x Nick

(straight up pulling this out of my ass to make up for my sins with more sins)

Nick sat on the curb outside the Daddies building, lost in his own thoughts. The air was crisp to the point where you could see your breath, and the sun was set a while ago. It was one of those late office nights after a particularly difficult mission. The tensions were high, with lots of yelling and frustration, which wasn't unusual to be fair. No one was getting anywhere, so Nick knew he needed to just catch a breather.

Lark had a similar idea, though he didn't see Nick sitting just a few feet away from him. Lark leaned against the brick wall and let out a sigh.

"Tough day, eh songbird?" Nick said not even looking at Lark

Lark jumped a little, he was so stressed that he didn't even notice Nick. He tried to play it off though. "You could say that." He responded. You could hear the frustration in his voice

Nick tapped the cement of the curve beside him, inviting Lark to sit. He sat down, not saying anything else. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a pack of smokes. Lark tilted the box to Nick to offer him one too. He grabbed one out and put it in his mouth. Nick pinched the end of the cigarette, causing it to light.

"Need a light?" Nick asked.

"If you don't mind" Lark responded placing the cigarette in his mouth and the pack back in his pocket.

Nick put his hand on Larks chin to move his head so they were facing each other. He pressed the tips of the cigarettes against each other causing Larks to light as well.

The two of them sat in a comfortable silence watching the occasional car drive by, or random animals running across the street.

"Should we head back?" Nick said breaking the silence.

"In a minute. I want to take this moment in a bit longer."  He tossed the bud on the ground in front of  them.

Nick tossed his down as well. "Getting sentimental on me songbird?"

Lark let out a small chuckle, "you wish." He sighed, "I just don't get many moments like this anymore."

Nick put a reassuring hand on Larks shoulder "take all the time you need."

"Thanks."

They sat in silence for a bit longer before Lark finally got up. He reached a hand out to help Nick up as well. "ya coming Foster?"
Lark said in an almost teasing tone.

Nick grabbed his hand. "Ya know, this was nice." He said pulling himself up.

"Yeah, guess we should take more smoke breaks huh" Lark responded. "If you ever want to-"

"I'll let you know" Nick said cutting him off. "You should really be less hard on yourself you know. I can tell how stressed you are."

"Look I don't have time for a therapy session right now." He snapped back. "I'm fine."

"Are you though? You know you can talk to me if-"

"I said it's fine." You could hear the frustration starting to build up in Larks tone.

Nick sighed "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to press. Just know I'm here, even if you just want another smoke break." He pulled the door open and gestured for Lark to enter first.

"Thanks." He replied walking through the entrance. "I'm sorry too. I didn't mean to get annoyed, I just-"

"Don't worry about it. You're stressed, I get it." He let the door fall shut behind him. His tone was a bit more passive than normal for Nick, as if he was trying to play off his own frustration.

"Look, Foster, I," Lark hesitated for a second. He couldn't seem to figure out what he was trying to say. "I really appreciate you, even if I don't show it enough."

Nick put a hand on Larks back as they continued to walk back to the office. "I know."

*Fade to black*

(Authors note: oh? You were waiting for this to become cursed? Hmmmmm well then. I guess I'll have to find a way to make up for this 😈)